Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-51 laptop not charging

Options
ErisF
ErisF Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi there, my laptop hasn't been able to charge for the last few hours. It started yesterday when I plugged it, and it disconnected even though it was still plugged. Then, I moved the cable around a bit to another direction, and it worked. Until today where I had to unplug the laptop to move it, and when plugging it back again, the charger completely refused to work.

I have a 180 watts charger from Movano.global, so not the original, which has been working fine for almost two years. The previous charger broke, I believe.

When plugged and turned on, the computer is not charging. There is only the blue light on the side indicating the laptop is on.

When plugged and turned off, the computer is not charging, and the light on the side blinks orange.

But it immediately disconnects the moment the laptop is back on, and makes the disconnecting sound. Why does it blink when charging doesn't work?

Troubleshooting:

I have tried manually uninstalling the battery driver. Went to device manager, batteries, picked the second driver, right clicked and uninstalled, then restarted the computer.

I have tried pressing the pin hole in the back of the laptop. Used a pin to press it down and heard a click and pressed it down for a little over 30 seconds.

I tried plugging the laptop in other power outlets around the home. It was fine just a day ago however so I don't imagine it's the power outlets.

I tried unplugging the second part of the charger until the light turned off completely, left it be for a little while then tried plugging it all again.

Nothing worked.

I absolutely need this laptop for work and can't not use it. I'd like to know what is at fault here. The charging socket, or the charger itself? I need to determine either of these things before spending any on either a repairman, or a new charger, neither of which I can really afford at the moment.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

»»When plugged and turned off, the computer is not charging, and the light on the side blinks orange. »»

This likely suggests a problem with the battery pack's internal charge controller. Try this.

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.

(2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.

(3) Click run as administrator.

(4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.

(5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.

(6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.

(7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    Options

Further to the your problems, please check the charger if its outputting 19.5V as that is what its needed for your 17" laptop to charge its battery. Check the output voltage of the charger with a multi meter and if its outputting 19.5V after you have unplugged it from the laptop, if the charger is not operating or outputting any voltage after disconnected from your laptop then its the laptops charging/power stage internal board/circuitries that need diagnosing by a technician, as you can’t do anything about that.

All laptop chargers have a safety fuse that if there is any shorted power port or internal issues of a laptop or the actual charger itself the charger turns off automatically, if it’s the laptop then the charger takes 10 seconds to go back online, if it’s the charger then the charger will not come back online again, so you need to check the charger power plug straight after you take it out of your laptop if its outputting 19.5V or if its fuse has turned the charger off.

OEM Baterries for your laptop, its best to always use the OEM batteries that Acer fits to any laptop.

These are the specs for all the batteries for your laptop and its different models:

Input Rating: 180W/230W/330W
    Maximum Input AC Curren:

180W:
    • 90Vac / full load, Maximum 2.5A
    • 180Vac / full load, Maximum 1.25A
    230W:
    • Input current will be less than 3.2Amps. at input voltage 90Vac/47Hz
    and maximum load condition
    330W:
    • 4.4 Amps maximum at input voltage within the low range as specified in
    paragraph 2.1 and at any combination of loading conditions.
    • 2.2 Amps maximum at input voltage within the high range as specified
    in paragraph 2.1 and at any combination of loading conditions

Output voltage: 19.5V

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

»»When plugged and turned off, the computer is not charging, and the light on the side blinks orange. »»

This likely suggests a problem with the battery pack's internal charge controller. Try this.

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.

(2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.

(3) Click run as administrator.

(4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.

(5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.

(6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.

(7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that
    compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge
    capacity.

Jack E/NJ