Do I need to replace these pads on the back cover of my PH315-54?

bearylee
bearylee Member Posts: 2 New User

I have been experiencing CPU overheating problems. I cleaned the fans and checked the thermal paste, but I'm still getting high temperatures. I just noticed that one of the pads on the back cover was ripped. Should this be replaced and what should I use to replace it?

Answers

• Pop_Rockz
    Pop_Rockz Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

That looks like a pad for M.2 ssd. Its not important to change it right away. Just try to put it back together in its place. Adjust it in its proper place. It will work. This has no relation to CPU overheating.

And what did you mean by check thermal paste? Did you open the heatsink and replace the thermal paste with new one?

• bearylee
    bearylee Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2023

I adjusted the pad and as you said this had very minimal if any change in the CPU overheating. I opened the heatsink to clean the fans, but I did not change the thermal paste as it did not look dry yet. I can open it again and send another picture of this. Cleaning the fans helped to decrease the temperatures, but I think they are still higher than before (when I first got the laptop).

• Pop_Rockz
    Pop_Rockz Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

As I have said earlier, that ‘pad’ is for your ssd (storage device). Replacing it with new pad or even removing it won't affect your CPU/GPU temperatures.

If your laptop is running hotter than before (when it was new), then I think its time for you to change your thermal paste. Given that you have already cleaned your fans, the only solution left is to apply new thermal paste. Use thermal grizzly kryonaut. Its a bit costlier compared to others, but its one of the best. Its what I use in my Helios 300.