Predator PH317-56 it keeps crashing when I'm using the Nvidia graphics card.

Options
SpuddyMcFuddy
SpuddyMcFuddy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi All,

I have a serious problem with my new laptop which arrived at the end of January.
I didn't notice the first couple of times as I just thought it had updated or something, but I think looking back it had BSOD.

Anyway, it keeps crashing when I'm using the Nvidia graphics card. Each time with the same (70368744177664) key fault. I have tried updating the drivers to the most recent and it's the same issue, removed those drivers and went back to the ones from the Acer website. I've searched and turned off the fast start in windows, stopped OneDrive accessing the internet as it had downloaded everything onto my C drive. I know it's a Kernel Power issue, but what the heck is that?? I mean, I've read that it's to do with the graphics card being incompatible with the motherboard, which is just bizarre. I wonder if it's driver related as nvlddmkm is mentioned frequently before it goes to a critical BSOD, but no idea.

The only way I can get the laptop working consistently is by turning off Nvidia card (1070 Ti) and running on the internal Iris Xe graphics card, which won't actually run anything, including the second monitor.

I'm baffled by it now as it feels like I've tried everything. At the moment, the laptop is usable - I'm on it now - but not for anything that uses the ‘proper’ graphics card and I can't use a second monitor, so it kind of defeats the object of having a nice speedy laptop!

Thank you for any help

Paul

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Try these, update graphics driver using Driver Easy program, then open CMD as Admin, type sfc /scannow and press enter, run this command at least 3 times and see whether it helps.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/r8pdn1fts9hiy/Software

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/run-sfc-and-dism-in-windows-11.html

• SpuddyMcFuddy
    Options

Did that.
    The first time I ran sfc, it did find an issue, although everytime after that it found no issues at all.

It hasn't crashed, however, the Nvidia card isn't running. When I open up device manager it has the yellow triangle of doom on it, implying it is offline or not active. I checked for an update and it says I have the best drivers available, I also disabled it and then enabled it, then restarted it and it is still unactive. So I'm actually - impressively - more baffled now as disabling and enabling with a restart would usually get it running again.

Anything I've done wrong?
    Thanks again

• SpuddyMcFuddy
    Options

As an update, I have just gone for a shower, shutting the laptop down while I was there.
    After coming back out, and turning back on the 1070 is now running, and my second monitor.

Nvidia Control panel isn't there of course, as I only installed using that Driver Easy program and only have drivers I assume.

I have now ran sfc /scannow 5 times and not found any issues. So I'm going to leave my laptop ‘up’ for a while and see what happens. Previously it ran for a couple of weeks without issue, ahh, it just locked up and recovered.

I suspect the problem is still there!

• SpuddyMcFuddy
    Options

And yes it is!
    I literally pressed Post Comment, and it went BSOD. Same issue (70368744177664),(2)

The recovery just beforehand was - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

So I strongly suspect it's driver related rather than the hardware, not that I really know truth be told.
    Flipping love this laptop, it's really nice, but this is infuriating.
    I need the GFX card, not so much for gaming (although that's nice occasionally) it's the second monitor!

Any ideas anyone, please?

• brummyfan2
    Options

That's a strange behaviour and unable to suggest anything else, so please wait for response from other members, otherwise get in touch with Acer Support centre, they may be able to help.

Is there any chance of returning for a replacement to the retailer? that's another option for you to consider.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/languages