Aspire TC-1760, can I clone the existing Hard drive to a newly installed m.2 ssd?

My model came with a standard hard drive, I'm planning to upgrade to a m.2 ssd. Wondering if I can clone the existing drive so that I can boot from the ssd.

Then wipe the original HD.

Best Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Just a note that may are not be in his links.

I think that you have to disconnect the original HD until the Bios establishes that the new SSD is the boot drive, then you can reconnect it later.\

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Also, and in addition, and a bit of useful advice, when you do the cloning process from the boot OS spinner HDD to the M.2 SSD, make sure that you connect the new M.2 SSD to the mobo slot internally (which is #9 slot in the caption below) and only use the recommended new manufacturers cloning software for your new M.2 SSD drive that the manufacturer recommends.

TC-1760 Motherboard components

As using an external adaptor is way too slower process to having the new M.2 SSD installed internally. I've recently done a clone of the M.2 SSD boot drive between two M.2 SSDs and just to give you some time differences between doing a clone between one internal fitted drives and a new M.2 SSD drive with a USB-C adaptor its very substantial, doing a clone with the internally fitted M.2 SSD the whole cloning procedure took 10min and doing a clone from the internal M.2 SSD boot drive to an external USB-C connected M.2 SSD adaptor from the boot internal M.2 SSD would have taken 2 hours with Acronis True Image that Western Digital recommend for cloning their drives. I did a clone to a larger boot drive of my Nitro 5 from its oem WD SN530 512GB M.2 PCIe 3x4 boot drive to a 1TB WD SN770 new drive.

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you can clone the HDD to the new M.2 SSD, download and install Macrium reflect free(Trial version), run it and clone the original drive and make sure that the clone completed successfully, then you can wipe the HDD, use these tutorials as guide for cloning.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free Trial

How to clone a Windows 10 hard drive to a new SSD using Macrium Reflect - Pureinfotech

How to clone your PC hard drive using Macrium Reflect | Windows Central

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Just a note that may are not be in his links.

I think that you have to disconnect the original HD until the Bios establishes that the new SSD is the boot drive, then you can reconnect it later.\

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Also, and in addition, and a bit of useful advice, when you do the cloning process from the boot OS spinner HDD to the M.2 SSD, make sure that you connect the new M.2 SSD to the mobo slot internally (which is #9 slot in the caption below) and only use the recommended new manufacturers cloning software for your new M.2 SSD drive that the manufacturer recommends.

TC-1760 Motherboard components

As using an external adaptor is way too slower process to having the new M.2 SSD installed internally. I've recently done a clone of the M.2 SSD boot drive between two M.2 SSDs and just to give you some time differences between doing a clone between one internal fitted drives and a new M.2 SSD drive with a USB-C adaptor its very substantial, doing a clone with the internally fitted M.2 SSD the whole cloning procedure took 10min and doing a clone from the internal M.2 SSD boot drive to an external USB-C connected M.2 SSD adaptor from the boot internal M.2 SSD would have taken 2 hours with Acronis True Image that Western Digital recommend for cloning their drives. I did a clone to a larger boot drive of my Nitro 5 from its oem WD SN530 512GB M.2 PCIe 3x4 boot drive to a 1TB WD SN770 new drive.

• MooseBrewer54
    MooseBrewer54 Member Posts: 6 New User

Thanks everyone!

I've watched a lot of "YouTube " videos, all recommend changing for speed, but there are lot that say you can't change the Bios, to boot of the new m.2 drive.

I've probably watched too many "YouTubes"

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yup, it's the old "if they say it on YouTube, it must be true" fallacy. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.