HELP: Acer ES1-111 Doesn't Run the laptop doesn't turn on

124»

Answers

• producer
    producer Member Posts: 36 Troubleshooter

If you can help, please let me know. Obviously he doesn't know or who knows… maybe he has tried it and failed but doesn't say it… Don't know what to think. So do ypu know the via usb flash drive?

• producer

After a lot of research I found that there must be a .fd file which has to be copied to the USB flash drive. But there is no such a file in the official BIOS archive. No such a file for Acer es1-111?!?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,519 Trailblazer

Blue slow blinking of the power LED is anomalous and intriguing as exactly the same issue was posted in 2021 with another 2015 W10 Acer laptop:

Which leads me to believe that this could be a motherboard issue that after 6-8 years starts declining.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer

Obviously he doesn't know or who knows… maybe he has tried it and failed
    but doesn't say it… Don't know what to think. So do ypu know the via
    usb flash drive?

Did the repair guy charge you for what he did? Is he an authorized Acer repair technician? Competent technicians should know how to extract & use the BIOS binary file from the ZIP & EXE file. You must ask him if he tried to do this.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

He is not authorized, didn't charge me since nothing was fixed. Looks like I have to throw this laptop…

• JackE

BIOS chip & firmware are the LEAST LIKELY things to go wrong. They're also the MOST LIKELY to brick & completely disable the machine if indiscriminately altered on a functioning laptop even if it was slow to boot when you gave it to him.

If he opened the bottom cover and started moving or disconnecting cables, it's MUCH MORE LIKELY that he disturbed the video cable connection to the mainboard.

Accordingly, if this was my machine, I would open the bottom cover, disconnect the battery pack, and re-seat the cables a few times before trying the blindly mess any further with the BIOS chip and firmware that may in fact still be perfectly fine.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

Actually I already did it - opened the cover and disconnected absolutely every cable (no other way if I want to remove the mainboard). I even visibly checked every cable with a powerful zoom lens. Then I carefully re-connected everything.

• JackE

OK, sounds like the motherboard was zapped. Probably by not wearing properly grounded wrist straps.

As long as you've gone this far with disassembly, new motherboards less than $35usd. Stop wasting your time & money. You should simply replace the old board with a new one. Google search "ES1-111" "motherboard" for vendors like Aliexpress who'll ship to your location.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

That was my next idea actually. Still didn't buy it because if the problem still happens after replacing with new boards, then it will be additional waste.

• JackE
    edited November 2023

Looks like I have to throw this laptop… > >Still didn't buy it because if the problem still happens after replacing with new boards, then it will be additional waste.

If it was mine, a new mainboard would be worth the gamble. But if you need a 100% guarantee before spending even one penny, then yes, you should save parts that are still usable and throw the rest of this laptop out now.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer

For a machine this age and performance, I would be reluctant to even spend $40 on a replacement motherboard. Better to just pick up a newer used laptop for the money.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.