Acer Nitro AN517-42 Random shut offs and hangs

Options
bankruptcyy
bankruptcyy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hi, I bought an Acer Nitro AN517-42 on 20th December 2022

These are the specs: AN517-42/AMD Ryzen 7 6800H/BT/RTX 3060/16G/1TB PCI NVME/4L5.4/17.3, windows 11

I did not have any issues till the past couple days when the laptop randomly shuts off or it randomly hangs and I need to force shut it down. My windows and drivers seems to up to date and I even reset (local reset) my laptop. I tightened all the screws in the laptop too, it even has enough ventilation, so I do not think it a heating issue. I do not have any idea why it happens. Sometimes its every 30 mins, sometimes it is 10-15 mins apart

Any help about this is appreciated.

Thanks

[Edited the content to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Sometimes its every 30 mins, sometimes it is 10-15 mins apart>>>

Please post a screenshot of NitroSense app showing fan speed and temperatures after using the machine for a while but before the random shutdowns and hangs seem to happen.

Jack E/NJ

• DamianW
    DamianW Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I know it was few month before but I have the same problem. Did You resolve it because I don't have any idea how handle it.

• JackE
    Options

So post a NitroSense screenshot when it happens so we can make a suggestion on how to handle it.

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,861 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023
    Options

After you found that the shutdowns are not due to overheating:

What is the error you get on the screen when it hangs or when you boot after a BSOD anything related to video? Open Event Viewer and click on "Event viewer (local)", top line on the menu. Look for today's errors or warnings double click and find the even at the time of the crash/hang, double click on it and copy the text and paste that to Notepad and save, post the .txt files here. Also check the Kernel problem reports in Security and Maintenance>Maintenance>Reliably Monitor>Problem Reports, look for the report at the time of the crash, copy and paste in Notepad, save and post those too.

IMO you either have display driver issues or/and corrupted system files, both can be fixed but we need to know the errors first otherwise it will be looking for the proverbial "nail in the haystack".

• bankruptcyy

Tinkerer

Options

It has been very random. I had a month with no issues and then it randomly started again. I do think it is a windows update issue, I spoke to microsoft's costumer serivice online and they ran a couple things on my laptop. Even after that I had random freezes and glitches.

As of the past 2 weeks, I have no had any issues, maybe it is due to some update. Not sure, I have not found a permanent fix yet unfortunately.

• JackE
    Options

I had a month with no issues and then it randomly started again. I do think it is a windows update issue, »>As of the past 2 weeks, I have no had any issues, »>I have not found a permanent fix yet unfortunately. »>

Consider yourself lucky. Normal Windows 10/11 update-induced issues happen weekly. For most machines, a permanent fix is LinuxMint that gives much greater control over what gets updated.

Jack E/NJ

• bankruptcyy

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for the comment. I have tried my best to attach the details. Let me know if this enough. Thanks again for the help.

• bankruptcyy

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, thank you for helping out. This is the screenshot right after it shut down.

This is the screen shot after it has been used for a while but before a shut down. I had just been using for Youtube and stuff, nothing major.

Thank you for the comment and help.

• JackE
    Options

Have any of your NitroSense screens ever shown that the nvidia GPU is being used?

Jack E/NJ

• bankruptcyy

Tinkerer

Options
  • JackE
    Options

Seems OK. But CPU temp seems a bit high for such low usage. Check AcerQuickAccess app to see if it has the CoolBoost feature instead of PredatorSense.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you checked the bios version yet?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bankruptcyy

Tinkerer

Options

BIOS Version/Date: Insyde Corp. V1.09, 12/7/2022

BaseBoard Version: V1.09

Seems to be up to date? Not sure though

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Does the same problem occur when reinstalling windows? Press alt+f10 before the acer logo to reinstall windows.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Rojoajax
    Rojoajax Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Same Issue with mine, believe its due to poor Motherboard. lots of similar stories with this model failing after a year or 2 for no particular reason