ACER PREDATOR XB273K Sbmiprzx Can't get 144Hz

Options
JWANG1
JWANG1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in Predator Monitors

I've looked everywhere for help trying to get the monitor to operate at 144Hz. Hoping someone here or ACER would know the answer to my problem.

I have an Acer Predator XB273K Sbm... currently set at 60Hz , Native 3840 x 2160, GTX 980

Things I've tried:

1. Going into the OSD settings and turning on overclock and setting max refresh rate to 144hz
  2. After setting max refresh rate on the monitor, I went into "NVIDIA control panel" and "Windows display settings" to try and set the monitor's refresh rate to 144hz, however the only option available in either application is 98hz.
  3. I've tested the refresh rate on https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate and it only shows it at 60hz. Which is what I have selected.
  4. I have the refresh rate value turned on in the top right corner, and it says 60hz
  5. I've tried changing out display port cables. No luck. Still only get max option of 98Hz
  6. I've set the monitor to 98Hz, and the refresh rate in the top right corner is confirmed at 98Hz. Still no option to select 144Hz
  7. My resolution setting is at native 3840 x 2160 (4K)

My questions are..

What am I doing wrong and how can I get this monitor to operate at 144Hz?

A. Does the monitor change its refresh rate, variably to 144Hz, only during gameplay?

B. If the monitor is properly set to 144hz, will the monitor operate at 144Hz ...even during non-gaming applications like working on the desktop and browsing the web? Will value 144 be shown in the top right corner?

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options

Wonder if it's bandwidth, what's the colour depth set to?

Ad which 980, I think it may be only dp 1.2

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Hi @JWANG1 Are you connecting via HDMI or DP (Display Port) cable?

If you do it via HDMI, try connecting via DP to access higher frequencies.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, DP works much better at higher refresh rates. The HDMI may be limited to 120Hz.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JWANG1
    JWANG1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

[Solved]

Thank you to all who took the time to respond to my question.

@Leostat was correct. The GTX 980 only supports DisplayPort 1.2, which does not support refresh rate of 144hz. It's an issue with my GPU. Thanks all. I figured it out shortly after I made this post. Hope this will help others.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

You are welcome !

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)