Extra monitors showing in display settings Windows 11

Options
laniebelle1
laniebelle1 Member Posts: 6 New User

When my pc wakes from sleep, there is one monitor that has been resized and moved to the left of the screen. I click on the maximize button and the screen stays small and goes to the right. When I click on maximize again, it fills the screen like it should.

When I go to Device Manager, under monitors 2 monitors appear, the one I have connected and one that isn't connected and really doesn't exist (Why is it even there when there has only ever been one monitor?). I right click on the extra monitor and then on uninstall and it goes away, but it keeps coming back. I can't get rid of it. It's very annoying to have to click twice on the screen to get it to the right size. Do you know of anything else I can do. Almost all the advice I see has to do with connecting monitors. I don't have another monitor to connect. I just want to permanently get rid of the extra monitor that isn't connected (it says not connected) and get rid of the resizing problem. I thought it was a Windows 11 problem cause I didn't have that till I installed Windows 11, but I can't find anything about it on Windows 11 support or on Microsoft support. I found support on the Dell website, but that is for Dell PCs. Also, I checked the Intel graphic on my pc and it says I have the latest driver.

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

What model number laptop/desktop do you have, as these settings within windows need to be reset with a hard reset Try to disconnect the main battery and take it out and disconnect the bios battery and take the ram out, leave all components disconnected for 15min and reconnect all and reboot, as all settings and pc functions are controlled by either the super IO chip or the bios chip and this resets all that, so try that and let us know if it fixes your problem, if not then you will have to do a windows reset without losing your files.   

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Do you have anything, like a cable, connected to any video ports other than the one your monitor is on? Is there a newer (or older) driver for your graphics interface? It sounds like it thinks there is a generic monitor connected to a port that not actually being used.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • laniebelle1
    Options

I have an Acer PC , a TC-895. this is the pc I had been using for Windows 10. I didn't have this problem till I installed Windows 11

I will have to look closer at what is connected where. I have my monitor, speakers, wireless mouse and keyboard, an external USB port, and a connection to a router. All the ports on the pc are connected to something, but I need all those things. I have the latest driver for my graphic card.

When I click on properties for the second monitor, it says Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45), So, if it's not connected, why is it showing up in the list of monitors?

• billsey
    Options

Fire up Device Manager and look in Monitors. What's listed there? Do they match what's really connected?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • laniebelle1
    Options

no, the monitor I use is there and is connected, but there is a second monitor listed. When I click on Properties, it says it is NOT connected. I click on Uninstall and it goes away, but it keeps coming back

• laniebelle1
    Options

The monitor I use is there. But there is also a second monitor, one I don't have. When I click on it and then on properties, it says it is NOT connected. When I click on uninstall, it goes away, but it keeps coming back

• billsey
    Options

In Device Manager turn on 'show hidden devices', I bet the ghost monitor is listed there even after you delete it...

• laniebelle1
    Options

I've turned on 'show hidden devices' to find the second monitor. After I uninstall it, it's gone. But it always comes back. I don't know how to make it go away permanently. There is no real second monitor.