Can I buy a psu from acer that has 2-8pin gpu connectors? My 1080ti MSI Xgaming has 2-8 pins

Options
Quick420
Quick420 Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

Can I buy a psu from acer that has 2-8pin gpu connectors? My 1080ti MSI Xgaming has 2-8 pins My Predator Orion 3000/i3-12100 psu only has a 6pin and 8pin.I tried but it tells me to plug in my gpu and reboot.

Best Answer

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

So you are replacing the stock GPU with an older, slower one? The stock system has six and eight pin connectors for the GPU, if yours needs two eights just use a six to eight adapter cable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Quick420
    Options

I bought the system with a gtx970 in it.Someone bought it for the video card and took it out.I'm now upping it to a 1080ti.I'm off to get an adapter after dinner,hope the psu is up to the task.If not I'll put the 970 back and and sell it.I honestly should have researched what a can of worms these things really are.

• Quick420
    Options

I got an adapter and it seems to be working fine.I removed the hard drive caddy by drilling out the rivets and attatched ssd's on the bottom under the fan with velcro and two-way tape.The bottom fan now can feed the cooler of my video card a LOT better.I'm gonna monitor temps and start installing some of my steam library so I can use it tomorrow.It beat my highest score on 3dmark firestrike score with my old i7-3770k@4.7ghz and this 1080ti by over 3000 points,looking good for gaming performance.It has 2400mhz ddr4,should I get 3200? Thnx for any pointers in advance,it is a neat looking little critter after all,I'm starting to like it a bit.

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, Nvidia specs system power of 600W for a GTX 1080 ti and 500W for a GTX 1080. The extra 100W is to handle the extra memory mostly. You have a 500W supply on your system, which is plenty for the xx50/60/70 designs, but a little iffy for the xx80s. If you have any issues with it, it would either be weird crashes with no discernible reason, or because you maxed out the rest of the computer with some old HDDs and full blown memory.

Yes, you should be running 3200 DDR4 (not XMP) on your system. If the memory in it is at 2400 it's liable to be XMP instead of normal memory. Your system doesn't do XMP overclocking, so it runs at the base JEDEC speed for the memory. You want real 3200, not the pseudo 3200 that they advertise for XMP. In the longer term, look for deals on a 3060 or 3070 GPU. It will be much faster than the 1080 ti and use less power. The only other thing to work towards is a cooling revamp using something like the Noctua that most people here are running. Your Predator PO3-630 is a nice machine and has plenty of life left in it...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Quick420
    edited February 2023
    Options

OK so I need to get some 3200 ddr4 could you point me in the right direction please? I'll be looking for 2x8gb that'll do.Thanks,Mike I've been on the hunt for a 3070 for a while but this 1080ti kicks ***** just doesn't have ray tracing,still a viable card for now.So I'll just upgrade the ram to 3200mhz.The system has had the original 3070 and ddr4 3200 removed.The memory says 2400mhz right on it.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options