My Acer Spin 713 has required recovery mode operation weekly for over a month

Options
Timothy1966
Timothy1966 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in Chromebooks

I am now on the fifth iteration of this process since early January, Does anyone know what causes this problem in the first place? I have run recovery mode almost weekly for more than a month and I am beginning to think their is a bug in the ACER software that is causing this issue. I have no other problems with any other hardware or software. Everything has been wiped off the computer and I am just trying to use Chrome. Thanks for advice.

Answers

• anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi! It is possible that the issue you're facing with your Acer computer is related to software or a corrupted operating system. Have you tried reaching out to Acer support for assistance? Additionally, you can try the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Run a virus scan to ensure that there is no malware causing the issue.
    2. Uninstall and reinstall the Chrome browser.
    3. Update the drivers for your computer.
    4. Perform a clean boot to eliminate any conflicting software.
    5. If the issue persists, you can try reinstalling the operating system.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be a hardware problem, and it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

So, what model of Spin 713 do you have? What OS is running on it? By recovery mode, what specifically are you doing?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Timothy1966
    Timothy1966 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It is beyond 1 yr warranty so Acer support is not available. The unit is CP713-2W, Intel core i3 10th gen. Isn't Chrome the OS. Error message was HWID: KLED-QYGU C5B-A2B-M5P-68D-Q5E, recovery reason 0x43 OS kernel or rootfs failed signiture check. Firmware Google_Kindred. We went through possible reboot scenarios and were finally required wipe and reload chrome via a usb stick. Afterwards the computer functioned okay(besides losing all its stored data of photos and apps and such). But a week or so later the same error message came up and we had to run through the recovery process again ... and three more times since. I doesn't seem to last more than a week. Don't know any more to tell you because its my daughters computer - i'm a mac guy so Chrome is not my wheelhouse. Thanks

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

OK, so a Chromebook instead of a Windows system. The previous suggestion assumed it was running Windows instead of ChromeOS. What it sounds like might be happening is an issue with the drive. They came with several different drive options, but in only two types. There were models with either a 64GB or 128GB eMMC drive, which is soldered to the motherboard, or a 128GB or 256GB NVMe SSD which is plugged into an M.2 slot on the motherboard. What is likely happening is that things run OK until it runs into the area on the drive that has failed, and then weird things happen when it tries to write to that area. Another thing that can happen when the drive is failing is that areas that were fine for writing a little while ago start being no longer good. Are you still in warranty? KIf so it's time to contact Acer support and get a ticket started on it so they can fix it for you. Try to copy any data off before if possible, because it won't be there any longer after the repair. If out of warranty then the fix is likely to be to either replace the NVMe drive or install an NVMe drive and use it instead of the eMMC. It might be best to take it to a good technician for that, since it involves opening it up and disconnecting parts...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.