I have an aspire Tc 885 with an intel i3 9th gen. I want to upgrade the psu and add a gpu. opinions

Hi

ill quickly re ask. i have an aspire tc 885 with an intel i3 9th gen. I would like to swap the stock 300w psu for a 750w modular psu from corsair. reason being for possible future build as well. after changing the psu I would like to add a 1660 super card. swapping the psu is needed because the stock psu does not have the pcie sable for adding a gpu.

is this a good upgrade

also, the case of the tc 885 is quite small. I have a larger case that i would like to swap the motherboard components into... is that the wifi wires that run to the front of the aspire case. the black and white wires. would i need to remove those wires and the pieces they are attached to, and add that to the new case as well. the new case has many fans and exhausts.

im just starting to learn about how my pc works. hope i was able to get my question across. thanks.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,924 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023

The TC885s mobo is a proprietary Acer type and it wont fit into allot of cases so measure the mobo first to make sure, the Corsair RM750 modular is a great PSU and should work, you also have an Acer option as for a 500W psu like the one below.

If you do all these upgrades, you should upgrade the CPU to the more powerful Core i7-9700 than the i3 9Gen that you have and also upgrade to 32 GB 2x 16GB DDR4-2666mHz ram and a Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD and if you want more drive capacity to a 2.5" SATA-3 SSD disk drives, as all these upgrades will improve your desktops performance considerably and overall to be compatible and run well with Win-11.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

As for the PSU and GPU upgrades, those are both fairly easy. I wouldn't bother with a CPU upgrade on a 9th gen machine, unless you are running some specific apps that will use the extra cores. If you do decide to do a CPU upgrade make sure the TDP is the same or else you will also have to revamp cooling.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.