Aspire Z3771 BIOS update to upgrade my unit to windows 11

Ruglenbhoy
Ruglenbhoy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in All-In-One PCs

where can i find if my Aspire Z3771 has an update bios so that I can update to WIN.11

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail]

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Just as additional information to the above, you can find all Acer bios versions at Drivers & Manuals Aspire Z3771 BIOS/Firmware but first have a look at your current bios version in windows under System Information under Baseboard Version for your current bios version, as the Aspire Z3771 came with 2x different bios versions one is an MBR/Legacy format and the latter releases of the Z3771 came with the GUID (GPT) bios format which are two different bios versions and different OS formats and can't be mixed, as the PC will not work.

The last Aspire Z3771 MBR/Legacy bios windows OS is version P03.A1 (and the BIOS (support Ivy MB) for Linux is version P03.A1L) and it can't be upgraded to the GUID (GPT) version P11.B0. The only way that a bios chip of a laptop or an AIO or a desktop can be updated from an MBR/Legacy bios to a GUID (GPT) bios is if you have the exact programing information to reprogram your MBR/Legacy bios chip with a text editor to the GUID (GPT) chip, this was a common practice when your AIO Z3771 was released as it was when PCs were transiting from MBR/Legacy formats to GUID (GPT) format bios versions and your AIO was one of these PCs.

Btw, I've got experience in this as I bought an Aspire V3-571G laptop in those days with Win-8 that had the same issues but luckily there was a bios reprograming upgrade tech guide to reprogram my MBR/Legacy bios chip to the newer GUID (GPT) or UEFI type format and I could do it easily as UEFI format.

The main differences between GUID (GPT) and MBR/Legacy are as follows:

• GUID (GPT) is a more powerful pre-boot environment capable of running applications.
    • GUID (GPT) is a modular design.
    • GUID (GPT) is a CPU-independent architecture (Itanium, x86, x86-64, ARM Arch32, Arm Arch64)
    • GUID (GPT) - BIOS interface compatibility and has ability to also revert back to MBR/Legacy booting.
    • GUID (GPT) has the ability to boot from disks larger than 2TiB (note the difference between 2TB and 2TiB).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

A BIOS change wouldn't allow support for Windows 11, that requires newer hardware.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Just as additional information to the above, you can find all Acer bios versions at Drivers & Manuals Aspire Z3771 BIOS/Firmware but first have a look at your current bios version in windows under System Information under Baseboard Version for your current bios version, as the Aspire Z3771 came with 2x different bios versions one is an MBR/Legacy format and the latter releases of the Z3771 came with the GUID (GPT) bios format which are two different bios versions and different OS formats and can't be mixed, as the PC will not work.

The last Aspire Z3771 MBR/Legacy bios windows OS is version P03.A1 (and the BIOS (support Ivy MB) for Linux is version P03.A1L) and it can't be upgraded to the GUID (GPT) version P11.B0. The only way that a bios chip of a laptop or an AIO or a desktop can be updated from an MBR/Legacy bios to a GUID (GPT) bios is if you have the exact programing information to reprogram your MBR/Legacy bios chip with a text editor to the GUID (GPT) chip, this was a common practice when your AIO Z3771 was released as it was when PCs were transiting from MBR/Legacy formats to GUID (GPT) format bios versions and your AIO was one of these PCs.

Btw, I've got experience in this as I bought an Aspire V3-571G laptop in those days with Win-8 that had the same issues but luckily there was a bios reprograming upgrade tech guide to reprogram my MBR/Legacy bios chip to the newer GUID (GPT) or UEFI type format and I could do it easily as UEFI format.

The main differences between GUID (GPT) and MBR/Legacy are as follows:

• GUID (GPT) is a more powerful pre-boot environment capable of running applications.
    • GUID (GPT) is a modular design.
    • GUID (GPT) is a CPU-independent architecture (Itanium, x86, x86-64, ARM Arch32, Arm Arch64)
    • GUID (GPT) - BIOS interface compatibility and has ability to also revert back to MBR/Legacy booting.
    • GUID (GPT) has the ability to boot from disks larger than 2TiB (note the difference between 2TB and 2TiB).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

A BIOS change wouldn't allow support for Windows 11, that requires newer hardware.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.