Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55 not turning on keyboard does not light up, fans not spinning.

milpredo
milpredo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hi! I need help because this issue is quite sudden.

I was trying to fix the internal monitor of Acer nitro 5 (AN515-55-56R2) by replacing the edp cable. The new cable works fine (webcam works, tested via external monitor, cable is the same type as the old one) but the display does not so i thought its the display that is broken. I shutdown the laptop in windows, and try to clean the connection on the display, and then turn it on. Now this time it does not turn on, keyboard does not light up, fans not spinning, but the led indicator with bulb symbol blinks slowly in orange color.

I tried to do bios reset by removing the cmos battery and pressing the power switch for 10 seconds, and it wouldn't work. I thought it might just be low battery so i plugged the power in, turn it on, but still the same issue. I let it charge till the charging indicates blue, then turn it on. Now the LED is blue, but still the same issue. This time I tried to remove laptop battery, RAM and cmos battery, press power button for 1 minute, and plug them back in but now its back to orange slow blinking LED, and keyboard still not lighting up and fans not spinning.

What could be the issue of this laptop?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,646 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Be warned that before you do anything with an LED screen or replace an eDP cable "YOU NEED TO FIRST DISCONNECT THE MAIN BATTERY" as if you don't then unfortunately you have burned the LED screen and the only fix is to replace the LED screen of your AN515-55-56R2, which you can get the exact screen part number from the sticker on the back of the LED screen.

Also check the plugs of the eDP cable at both the screen and at the motherboard ends if any of their pins are burned out, as these pins are very sensitive especially if they burn out from a battery not being disconnected and you might have to buy a new eDP cable as all these factors are causing your laptop not to boot and power on,

These are all the oem Acer fitted screens and vendor model names for the AN515-55 laptop:

Also make sure that you have the correct eDP cable which should be one of these cables

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,646 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Be warned that before you do anything with an LED screen or replace an eDP cable "YOU NEED TO FIRST DISCONNECT THE MAIN BATTERY" as if you don't then unfortunately you have burned the LED screen and the only fix is to replace the LED screen of your AN515-55-56R2, which you can get the exact screen part number from the sticker on the back of the LED screen.

Also check the plugs of the eDP cable at both the screen and at the motherboard ends if any of their pins are burned out, as these pins are very sensitive especially if they burn out from a battery not being disconnected and you might have to buy a new eDP cable as all these factors are causing your laptop not to boot and power on,

These are all the oem Acer fitted screens and vendor model names for the AN515-55 laptop:

Also make sure that you have the correct eDP cable which should be one of these cables

• milpredo
    milpredo Member Posts: 3 New User

ohh thank you very much for the feedback! I did not know the edp cable was THAT sensitive, and the battery should be removed before replacing it (I am only experienced on repairing desktop, not laptops). I did use the exact edp cable for this laptop, because the display is not working so I assumed the edp cable is damaged due to infestation. I already found a replacement display for this laptop in case the current display is also damaged. And I also forgot to mention that I did smell something burning after trying to clean the edp cable and plugging it back, and turning it on.

So far, this is what I understood based from your feedback:

-When replacing a laptop display, remove the battery first.

-The laptop (Acer Nitro 5) (AN515-55-56R2) will not boot/power on if the edp cable is damaged.

-Both the edp cable and the display needs to be replaced.

Did I understand it correctly? Is there also a chance the motherboard itself got damaged too?