Predator Orion 5000 PO5 640 hard crashing when gaming from stock SSD.

Options
JTMoore
JTMoore Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi all,

Currently having an issue with my Predator Orion 5000 PO5 640 when playing warzone 2 from the ssd and I'm not sure what will sort it as people say there's all kind of solutions. Asking here incase anyone else has had the same issue.

I cant run the game from the hard drive that's installed as it stutters and drops frames like no tomorrow. When playing off the ssd it's smooth as butter. But occasionally it will hard crash and restart my pc which I obviously don't want happening and damaging the hardware. It happened twice last night in 4 hours. I read it can rather be the ssd or even the motherboard failing with read speeds. I dont want to buy a new expensive ssd for the game and have it in the second slot but the issue still occur.

Does anyone have any solutions or possible fixes?

Much appreciated.

Answers

• NeoGeo
    NeoGeo Member Posts: 157 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited February 2023
    Options

@JTMoore

I would try a different game off the hard drive and see if that runs, and would move the SSD to a different M.2 slot and see if it still resets itself after playing, the Acer care app has a storage test app built in, i'd recommend to try that too.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023
    Options

Just want to add the following to what you should consider and should do for a high end gaming desktop that you have in the PO5-640. You have to make sure that you properly setup the Win-11 OS with all its drivers updates and all its component like its RTX gpu is also up to date to NVidias latest drivers (make sure that use the new NVidia drivers Clean Install option to uninstall the previous drivers) and also go to NVidia Control Panel and set at Program Settings Warzone2 to High performance NVIDIA processor as that is important too, then make sure that all Intel drivers are up to date (use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant as that will scan your OS and update the appropriate Intel drivers to their latest versions. Make sure that all these aspects of the software are met first. Also make sure that you have the last bios update version R01-A4 - Enhance system stability - dated 2022/03/24 as that is relevant also, with bios updates make sure that you follow the proper bios update procedures (read the bios update guide in the Appendix folder and do it through Win-11) as updating the bios incorrectly can brick your PC and Acer warns every user of this factor.

After doing all the above also make sure that the oem PO5-640 cpu cooling is adequate and does not contribute (especially after playing Warzone2 for 4hrs, which is a long long time) to the cpu overheating, imo you should upgrade the oem cpu cooler to the excellent Noctua NH-U9S (which allot of community member have done, and its worked 100% better) as its the best upgrade and will keep your cpu at high end gaming cool. The PO5-640s i7-12700F and RTX3070 or RTX3080 gpu's and oem 16GB DDR5-4400MHz, which imo you should upgrade this desktop to 32GB (4x 8GB modules at DDR5-4400MHz) and only to the max DDR5-4400MHz as Acer warns users that - Follow Intel’s SPEC, since this system design w/ 4 DIMMs, the system only support DDR5-4400MHz whether plugging in memory is 4800MHz or higher.

The PO5-640 is a very high component gaming desktop that has hardly any bottlenecks of either its cpu or gpu and can operate at high resolutions of 3440 × 1440 (Ultra-Wide QHD) or 3840 × 1600 (Ultra-Wide 4K) or 3840 × 1600 (Ultra-Wide 4K) or 3840 × 2160 (4K UHD-1 (2160p)) at virtually under 5% or zero % bottleneck of its cpu of gpu

With Call Of Duty Warzone2 game there are allot of ultimate settings on the web, look those settings up as its crucial to have this game properly setup to your RTX gpu to operate properly. The M.2 SSDs (that you think that could have a problem with) imo is not the problem, as M.2 SSDs very rarely go wrong, especially new M.2 drives and from renowned manufacturers like Samsung and Micron which Acer fits to the PO5-640 oem, also make sure that TRIM is enabled within windows with this M.2 SSD drive if you don't have an M.2 SSD tuning software, if your M.2 is a Samsung M.2 drive, install Samsung Magician tuning software as that tunes the M.2 SSD and notifies you of any firmware updates for the M.2 SSD also.

I don't know which M.2 SSD drive you have as the PO5-640 comes with 7x different 1TB M.2 SSD drives 6x from Samsun and 1x from Micron, and can also come with 3x different 1TB SATA-3 3.5” drives from WD, Toshiba or Seagate and 2x different 2TB 3.5” SATA-3 from Seagate or Toshiba drives that Acer fits oem, imo the M.2 drive is not where your problem is as its more like your setup and drivers of this PC and Warzone 2 also, that is where the problems are, so make sure that you do all the above as that will defiantly fix your problems and make this excellent desktop perform at its peak and right up there as one of the top pre built gaming platforms around. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• JTMoore

Tinkerer

Options

Hello

firstly thank you for taking your time to help me! I have checked windows updates and updated all my intel drivers. Same with Nvidia. Im having an issue too at the moment where my pc wont boot back up when I select the restart option. It boots up fine when shutting down and powering back up but wont restart. Just tried the BIOS update and the pc wouldnt boot back up so it was unsuccessful. It was doing this restart issue before I tried the BIOS update. But it restarts fine when intel was asking the system to restart from the driver updates which where only wifi and bluetooth drivers. Any idea as to why this is happening? am I best off resetting the system fulling from windows?

I have also already upgraded to the dual Noctura CPU cooler a few weeks back.

• NeoGeo
    Options

When you restart it and it's unsuccesful, do you get any display on screen? and do you still hear the 1 beep on start up you'd normally hear on a sucessful boot?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

Run one of the SMART utilities to see if the drive is throwing any errors...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JTMoore

Tinkerer

Options

My monitor goes into standby as its getting no signal to it so no display. I still get the 1 beep that I would normally hear. I just tried a restart after a boot up and it worked so I tried the BIOS update again but it did the same as before. Got the beep but nothing happened after. I dont think the PC will let it load up BIOS.

Also I havent had any hard crashes for a while playing warzone from the SSD. Still the issue with the restart and BIOS update though.

• NeoGeo
    Options

Have you got another monitor or TV with HDMI to try, a single boot indicates that the PC is posting, but no display indicates there could be a handshake error, we could eliminate that possibility by trying a different screen and different hdmi or display port cables, if it's not that then we would have to look more closely at the ssd with the windows install on it.