How To install windows from scratch? I accidentally formatted my pcs ssd and now it won't boot.

JimboTheWindowsFreak
JimboTheWindowsFreak Member Posts: 67 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 2023 in Windows 10

I accedentily formatted my pcs ssd and now it wont boot i am aware that with secure boot i can only boot into disks that are gpt formated please send help...

James,Kerns

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@JimboTheWindowsFreak

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

If you have formatted all the partitions including recovery partition then the steps mentioned above will not work.

Try this method..

On a different working computer. 

Go to the website 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Below the info Create Windows 10 installation media

click on download tool now.. 

It will download the windows media creation tool - click on media creation file on the lower left corner.

Insert a blank 8 gb flash drive 

it will download and install the windows 10 on the blank flash drive.. 

Now insert the flash drive on the broken computer

Tap f2 while turning on the computer 

It will go to bios

Go to main 

change the f12 boot menu to enabled

Go to boot tab or boot options tab

change the settings

Boot mode: UEFI 

Secure boot : Enabled 

F10 - Save the changes

Try f12 while turning on the computer. 

It will go to boot menu 

chose the usb 

Boot it using flash drive..

click on install

chose custom

on where do you want to install windows screen - remove all the partitions

It will become like one single unallocated space  

There is no need to format it.. 

chose the unallocated space 

click on next 

It will install the operating system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2

@JimboTheWindowsFreak

You can also order acer recovery media from Acer store to reinstall windows.

If you contact Acer you can get the recovery media which is designed for your computer or else you can download windows 10 from another working computer using a 8 gb blank usb flash drive.  

Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop   Recovery media might be a set of disks or recovery usb flash drive.  Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  You can also order it from Acer store. 

Recovery media is a unique media which is designed only for your computer.  It cannot be used on any other computer.  It comes with drivers and applications which is designed for your computer.  

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

dont i need administrator permisions to use the tool?

• William_mk2
    edited February 2023

@JimboTheWindowsFreak

Please try it as a normal user and if it is not working then you need to try it as a administrator to download the media creation tool on the 2nd computer.

However on the first computer which is the non working computer you are just going to reinstall windows. It doesnt require any permission. If you reinstall windows you will loose all the data including pictures , music , documents on the non working computer.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

so i have tried both 64 bit and 32 bit releases but it wont recognize my usb is it the size? its 256 gb

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

William Anybody hello?

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited February 2023

@imboTheWindowsFreak,

how did you create the USB flash drive? With Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus?

If you choose WMCT, uncheck "Use recommended options for this PC" in window "Select language and edition". Example: https://community.acer.com/de/discussion/comment/1157866/#Comment_1157866

If you choose Rufus, disable secure boot in the BIOS and prepare the stick as follows.

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

Also, I should state that I am trying to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10. What do i set up first 7 or 10?

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Ehhhh, could you get away with a windows 7 VM rather than dual boot? You would have to do 10 first, and then install 7 in UEFI mode to get it to play as the disk needs to be GPT

Is it the media creation tool that isnt seeing the drive?

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

Nah. It sees the drive but it always formats it to mbr instead of gpt

• Leostat

Odd, and this is the media creation tool ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 ) not rufus right? In theory it shouldnt matter what the USB stick is as long as it can boot though . At what part is it not regognied? Does the ACER just not boot it even if you mach f12 and select it?

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

Yeah... Rufus Might be the problem but i need 7 to let me install to a gpt disk

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

also should i install in 10 or boot from the stick?

• Leostat

Ah gotcha, what windows 7 iso are you using? , And by the sounds of it you are booted into the window 7 installer already but it's not showing the disk?

Very few windows 7 isos had efi, so anything before sp1 is out the window

Was windows 7 working dual boot side by side before you wiped, or is that new ? If new, I'd really suggest a VM rather than dual boot :D

Windows 7 home premium sp1 I think supported UEFI, but there was some bizar bugs with it , where it only worked if you created a slipstreamed Dvd with the efi boot , or a usb 2 drive rather than a usb port (how much of that is inherited service desk superstition mind you who knows 🤷)

So install 10, then get an old usb 2 drive to install 7, use a home premium sp1 iso and it should 'just boot'

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

To my knowledge... No official windows 7 iso exists anymore, because Microsoft dropped support 3 years ago. I'm using a x64 SP1 Windows 7 iso but I'm also unsure if it even supports UEFI Booting. Probably a x64 SP1 Windows 7 Professional Iso will do the trick.

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

Issue Being i Don't have a professional key handy...

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

I Still Need Help Anyone else online willing to help?

• Leostat

Way back archive is your best bet for ISO's . In yours, one burnt does it have a boot folder with some efi files? If so it is semi UEFI compliant. 7 was never fully working in UEFI only mode which is probs the issue you are running into .

Was it installed as a dual boot before? This is important as it suggests if you are running into a bootcode bug, or just a formatting issue

Keep in mind we are all in different time zones so it may not always be an instant response 😉

So with that iso, if you burn it to a usb, what's happening. Are you able to get into the installer or is it not even reading it?

This shim may fix it if it's seeing the drive but crashes or fails to use it

https://github.com/manatails/uefiseven

• JimboTheWindowsFreak

Thanks for telling me, the results are still inconclusive i have no clue what to do it Just Freezes on the "Starting Windows" animation. btw im installing from a partition from the built in storage