My Swift 3 suddenly became so laggy and buggy after a windows update, and more issues, what now?

BGCampana
BGCampana Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there, I'm new here and I have been having a problem with my Acer Swift 3 ever since I updated my windows last year.

I have had my Swift for a few years now and this is the first time I have ever had a problem with it. I update my windows quite regularly and there were some optional updates that I thought should be added since it was piling, so I updated it, then after that all these ***** happened. I suddenly could not even use the most basic applications. MS word lagged the hell out of my laptop I could not even scroll properly. Games that I used to enjoy running so smoothly with my laptop's i5 8th Gen specs also started to lag like hell. The Netflix app also started acting up, literally the resolution looked so cloudy and laggy I questioned how unfair my life is lol. And the scaling of the apps, I had to adjust it to 150% because at the recommended setting, 100% scale made the applications small that did not fit my screen size. And for some weird reason the option to adjust the brightness of my screen suddenly disappeared. I tried several things already, such as reformatting and even factory reset, lost all my software package just for a chance to start again with a smooth and clean running laptop, but to no avail. ALL OF THESE JUST BECAUSE OF AN UPDATE.

Please help, I do not know what to do anymore. What do I do to fix this? Otherwise I'd have no choice but to find some local, cheap, and backwater laptop store and let them tinker whatever they want with my device. It has been very difficult to make files, assignments, and other tasks in my life as a college student with only free online tools that want me to turn premium at every other option I need to do my work properly. Hopefully, I can still do something about this.

Answers

• What exact model Swift do you have and what exact ""Optional Updates"" did you download? As some Optional Updates you don't download especially Firmware and Driver updates as they can do the damage that you have done but especially Firmware updates that BRICK laptops completely!

What you can do is to undo the Optional Updates, see this guide here

• BGCampana

Hello there, thank you for your reply.

After searching online, this is the model of my Acer Swift 3 : https://kelaptop.com/en/acer-swift-3-sf314-52g-53gf-nx-gquem-002

I no longer remember the optional update(s) I did. It was a pile of optional updates. I did an oopsie by updating them all at the same time. I will try to follow the guide you recommended. But I already did a factory reset on my laptop, more than once at that but still to no avail. Hopefully your method works and I will update yo as soon as I get to it. Thanks again.

• @BGCampana

After the updates if you are facing any issue please try to do a system restore first before doing the factory reset..

When you do a factory reset try to do keep my files first and then do remove everything. Remove everything is divided into 2 category - Just remove my files and fully clean the drive.

The steps given below will help to you to do system restore , factory reset which is keep my files , just remove my files and fully clean the drive.

Step 1

How to do system restore 

Sometimes a simple system restore will fix the issue.. 

Try windows x

click on power shell admin or command prompt admin  or Terminal admin for Windows 11

type rstrui

chose an earlier date on which your computer was working fine  

click on next, finish, yes

It will restore your computer to an earlier date 

if you get an message - system restore not completed - click on close 

It will show you all the icons..

Try and check whether it is working now ..

Step 2

Here are the steps to do a factory reset.

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset ( keep my files and fully clean the drive )

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything

chose keep my files 

chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 

It will be in progress.. 

login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

chose remove everything 

click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset

It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) - all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos will still be intact.  Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset ( remove everything ) - you are doing a factory default.  It will become like a day one computer.  It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard. If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar. The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car. Turn off the computer. Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.  It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.  If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer. Turn on the computer. Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt ) and then tap f10 continuously. It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc

click on keep my files ( only applications will be lost )  chose your account and type your password  - click on local reinstall - click on reset

It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• @BGCampana

Since you say that you already did a factory reset. I just want to double check whether you did all the options keep my files, just remove my files and fully clean the drive to resolve the issue.

If you have done all the steps and if it still not working..

Try this method..

On a different working computer. 

Go to the website 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Below the info Create Windows 10 installation media

click on download tool now.. 

It will download the windows media creation tool - click on media creation file on the lower left corner.

Insert a blank 8 gb flash drive 

it will download and install the windows 10 on the blank flash drive.. 

Now insert the flash drive on the broken computer

Try f2 while turning on the computer.

It will go to bios

Go to main - change f12 boot menu : enabled

Go to boot or boot options tab

Bood mode: uefi

Secure boot : enabled

f10 - save the changes

Try f12 while turning on the computer.

It will show you boot menu

chose usb flash drive

Boot it using flash drive..

click on install

chose custom

on where do you want to install windows screen - remove all the partitions

It will become like one single unallocated space  

There is no need to format it.. 

chose the unallocated space 

click on next 

It will install the operating system. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• BGCampana

Hello again,

Yup, same thing. If I reset my laptop, that'd approximately be the 4th time I have reformatted my device. And the past three times did not help, if anything, my Microsoft word and other software for work is gone, and now I'm stuck with online tools "For free but must pay to use all options." As for uninstalling update, I tried uninstalling the firmware, but failed since the installation of it came from a month ago and I can't do anything about it. I appreciate your help, but is there anything else you recommend me to do?

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited January 2023

@BGCampana

You can call Acer store and get the Acer recovery media which is designed for your computer. It will work only only on your computer model. All the drivers and applications will be automatically installed when you install the operating system through Acer recovery media. It will be very helpfull if you face any problems in the future. Please dont forget to go through the previous comments if you need any help to do system restore or internal factory reset.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

If you have done a factory reset of your SF314-52G since the issue appeared, we know it wasn't really an issue with the update, since the drivers would all be reset to the original. If you did a Windows reset instead of a factory reset then you might have the problematic driver still there, since Windows will automatically put the latest one in. It sounds like some of the issues are display related, based on the screen resolution changes. Your system is an Intel 7th generation based laptop with an Nvidia MX150 GPU added. Is there any chance the changes have switch your default GPU from the MX150 to the builtin Intel 620 instead? Open Device Manager and show us what it says for Display Adapters, then open the Nvidia control panel and see where it's set...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BGCampana

Hello, here are the ss for the things you were asking for.

What's next?

• Andre_Li_1942
    Andre_Li_1942 Member Posts: 1 New User

I read many articles on the subject and my conclusions and the "reality" were the following

=1= Installation of Windows 10 loss of MY data and softwares: it did not work!

=2= With the help of Youtube tuto: open the pc, remove the fair amount of dust (particularly at the bottom part of the fan)… this worked: the PC is just like a brand new one.