Extremely High Idle CPU Temp (90c+) after bios update - PO3-630

Options
PapiTompy
PapiTompy Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all,

so recently I updated my bios for my Orion 3000 PO3-630, to version R01-A4 and updated my firmware to v1.02. However, I noticed that my mouse started to feel floaty, and would stutter a little bit. Didn’t think anything of it first, thought it may have been a mouse hardware issue. However after a while my pc would started taking a long time to load, file explorer would take a long time to render, everything became nearly unusable. I opened the bios, and my pc was sitting at 90c idle. I did a CMOS reset and reset bios seatings to factory default with no luck. I did a full pc scan to and repair every possible corrupt file to no help. If anyone could provide any insight on how I could fix this, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,923 Trailblazer
    Options

In the BIOS, Advanced, PC Health Status, is Smart Fan on or off? By 'firmware to 1.02', what do you mean?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PapiTompy
    PapiTompy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for the fast response bro. The Smart Fan is currently enabled, and I downloaded the latest firmware patch from https://www.acer.com/au-en/support?search=Predator%20PO3-630&filter=global_download&suggest=Predator%20Orion%20;4, under bios and firmware

• billsey
    edited February 2023
    Options

OK, so EC firmware, not the BIOS itself. Try toggling smart fan off, rebooting then toggling it back on. Which BIOS version are you on?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LINK123
    LINK123 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

I have the same issue the best thing to do is to upgrade the stock cooler the best one is the ZALMAN CNPS 16X black model but the only thing is the cooler needs the ZSYNC CONTROLER AND SOFTWARE.

• billsey
    Options

I don't see much advantage for that cooler over the Noctua everyone else is using…

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options

The bios update should not have anything with increasing temps, as the bios update “Fix Hynix BC711 SSD show Error in the SMART detection” has nothing to do with any temp’s settings. Make sure that you have the latest NVidia, Intel and windows updates installed and also upgrade the cpu cooler as the oem PO3-640s cpu cooler is not the best around and repaste the cpu also with a high grade paste. There are allot of posts of community members upgrading their PO3-640 oem cpu coolers and gotting at least 30c reduction in cpu temps. These cpu coolers are from Noctua and their model numbersNH-U9S chromax.black or the NH-U12S chromax.black as they are the best cpu coolers that fit and work.

• LINK123
    LINK123 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

THE ZALMAN COOLER HAS DUAL FANS COMPARED TO THE NOCTUA COOLER AND IS RAZER CHROMA READY AND USES ZALMAN'S EBR BEARING TECHNTECHNOLOGY IN THE FANS VS. NOCTUA HYDRO BALL BEARINGS WITCH ALLOWS DUST TO GET ININTO THE FAN MOTOR WHICH CAN CAUSE FAILURE PREMATURELY THAT CAN BE BAD FOR PERFORMANCE AND SHORTEN THE LIFESPAN OF THE NOCTUA COOLER .