ACER swift 3 Why is there a black horizontal line on top of my laptop screen

Options
zyy
zyy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

hello, not sure why is there a long horizontal line across top of my whole laptop screen.. i've been using it carefully and have never dropped it. it was fine all along but appeared recently and i cant seem to get it of it. please help me, thank you. my model is ACER swift 3

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• xperamis
    xperamis Member Posts: 87 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi ,

First of all make sure your machine is up-to-date and recieved all lastest windows updates.

Try the below steps ,

Run a troubleshooter. Open Settings and select System > Troubleshoot > Other trouble-shooters and run the Video Playback and Program Compatibility trouble-shooters. If you get presented with any recommendations for other trouble-shooters, run those too.

Update your device drivers. Check for driver updates for profiles associated with your monitor and screen.

Change your monitor’s refresh rate. Switching to another refresh rate setting can help with lines and screen flickering.

Calibrate your monitor. This process should only take a few minutes and can help optimize your monitor for use with your computer and its environment.

Change the screen resolution. Whether using a Windows or Mac computer, try changing its screen resolution.

Click on 'Yes' for the question on bottom , if youre happy with my answer❤️

• zyy
    zyy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

hi, thanks for the comment. i've updated windows and tried the steps but nothing is working... the line is still there. the troubleshoot didnt find any problem except that it cant play 4k videos or something?? which i think is unrelated to this issue..

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hi! Does this line also appear in the Bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • William_mk2
    Options

@zyy

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue..  Turn off the computer.  Tap f2 while turning on the computer.  It will go to bios.  Please stay on the bios screen for 30 mins.  If the display is looking good on bios then it is a software issue.  If the display is not looking good on the bios screen then it is a hardware issue.  

If it is a software issue try the following the steps..

Try windows x 

go to device manager 

expand display adapter

right click on display driver - uninstall 

Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 

Uninstall the display adapter from device manager 

Don’t restart the computer. 

Go to support.acer.com 

chose your country 

type snid or chose your model 

go to drivers 

Install the display driver 

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@zyy

If it is a hardware issue..

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.   Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - click on "contact support". Scroll down. You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - Click on "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.  There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store: Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,378 Trailblazer
    Options

If the line is there also in the BIOS then we know it's a hardware issue and we will want to try and pin it down to the cable that runs between the motherboard and display or the display itself. If the line isn't there in the BIOS we know it's a Windows issue and as suggested a remove/reinstall of the graphics drivers will likely clear it up.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.