Chromebook 314 battery issue the battery seems to drain just the same, about 30-40% in 7-8 hours

andreinaku
andreinaku Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2023 in Chromebooks

Hello!

I recently bought a second-hand Acer Chromebook 314 and I noticed the following: when I use it, battery life is brilliant. The battery health is 90% (which I find acceptable for a 2-year old used laptop) and everything just works. However, my expectation was that the battery should not drain more than, let's say, 10% in 8 hours while being TURNED OFF. However I close it, the battery seems to drain just the same, about 30-40% in 7-8 hours while being turned off (shut down from the power menu).

Did anyone else have this issue? If so, did you find any solution for it? I mean, it is a minor inconvenience but it is surely a pain in the proverbial behind.

I will try to test different scenarios and come back if I find anything. First thing to try will be to disable wifi while the chromebook is turned off to see if that makes any sort of difference.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,716 Pathfinder

@andreinaku

Try the below steps given in the link and check still do you have the issue

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3420029?hl=en

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

When you close a Chromebook it automatically goes into a sleep mode, not a powered off mode. When asleep, depending on settings, it might leave the WiFi/Bluetooth still up, it might leave one or more USB ports still powered or it might leave the CPU still active, in a low power state. As Jack suggests, doing a full shutdown should stop the battery loss, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andreinaku

Hello!

I am aware of the fact that it goes into sleep mode when the lid is closed. I mentioned before that I am shutting it down. The interesting fact is that a shutdown, when it comes to chromebooks, is not as much of a hassle compared to a "regular" laptop. It is still weird to me and I have not figured out how I can fix this issue.

It is not a problem if I use it daily. But if I, let's say, fully charge it and go on a trip and leave it turned off for 2 days, then I would like it to have a nearly full battery level. It just weirds me out how battery life is fine when I use it, but when I turn it off it drains like that. It's mind numbingly baffling.

• billsey

A shutdown and a power off are two different things with a Chromebook. Shutting it down is actually just another sleep mode. Are you sure you are getting it fully powered off?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andreinaku

Hello!

That's an educated guess: that it is still somehow powered on/in sleep mode. But the question is HOW would I get it fully powered off? There does not seem to be any menu choice for this. When I press the Power button I get the usual options: Shut down, Sign out, Lock and Feedback. Using Shut down from here does not seem to power it off, as I've stated earlier. Long pressing the power BUTTON does not seem to do the trick, either. It is really weird to me, because it seems like a simple option to have. I mean, there is always the option to "go full Macbook" and never really shut down. But those *****' sleep modes are a lot more like hibernation and they can really hold a charge even if in simple sleep mode.

So... how would I get around checking if the power is really REALLY off or if the laptop fakes its shutdowns?

• billsey

On Windows-based computers, holding the power button is a last-ditch effort to force your machine to shut down. But on Chromebooks, it's the only way to fully power down your system. Press and hold the power button located in the upper right corner of the keyboard for three to five seconds to power down. Press the key again to power on again.

• andreinaku

Hello!

No dice! Tried insisting on the power button and the same happens. I just can't figure out how this is supposed to work.