Please Help: How to improve sound on Acer Swift 3 SF314-43-R73Q Laptop?

Brightness1982
Brightness1982 Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Evening everyone,

I just need help with improving the sound that comes from my Acer Swift 3 laptop when I'm using my headphones that I plug into the 3.5mm headphone jack.

The sound that comes from the Acer Swift 3's built in speakers is fine, but the sound that comes from the headphones is weak.

I used the exact same headphones on my entry level basic model iPad and the sound is much better than the Acer laptop: probably about 30% better sound quality on the iPad.

This is the model: Acer Swift 3 SF314-43-R73Q

Thanks

Answers

• Brightness1982

I forgot to mention that I was thinking about buying a new set of USB headphones instead of using he 3.5mm headphone jack.

Is it true that USB headphones come with their own built in sound card?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

USB headphones act just like a Bluetooth set. The sound is serialized within the onboard audio chips and send to the headphones, where the serial stream is converted back to analog and played on the speakers. So sound quality there is dependent on the quality of the electronics in the headphones and their associated speakers. Do your wired headphones have a volume control? The signal levels coming through the jack are pretty standard so there shouldn't be anything amiss there. I'd bet the issue is more on the computer software side of things. The sound settings are likely optimized to match the onboard speakers. Here's a snippet form the block diagram:

Sorry for the fuzzies, but that's as good I get when looking at the PDF. The HDAudio is a digital serial stream that comes directly from the AMD chipset and uses the codec chip to convert to analog. As you can see it likely sends the same signal to the internal speakers as to the jack. USB or Bluetooth wouldn't go through that codec so quality will depend directly on the codec used in them. I use Bluetooth to listen to music from both my desktop and laptop, though I use my phone much more often than either of those...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@Brightness1982

I checked your PM.

You say "I hate to be PMing you again, but I know you have a vast knowledge in computing so I'd appreciate your opinion!

I just want to know how I can get better sound when I'm using headphones on my Acer Swift 3 Laptop. "

Please always bother us. We are always here to help you. Please don't hesitage to get help from us.

I checked the link. I request to check with usb headsets, bluetooth headset, wired and wirelesss headset and check the difference. First we need to isolate the issue. We need to determine whether it is hardware or software issue. Try to check the same headset in a different computer. We can reinstall sound drivers. In a worst case scenario we can also reinstall Windows.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Brightness1982

Thanks for your replies!

So if I buy USB headphones the sound quality would be separate from the sound quality I get from using the headphone jack? I think the headphone jack limits me to the audio quality of the Acer laptop's motherboard? :(

• billsey

Yes, USB or Bluetooth headphones will not being going through that codec, so if the codec is injecting noise it will not be there with either USB or Bluetooth.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Brightness1982

Thanks for your reply Billsey!

I'm getting overwhelmed now because there are so many options for the type of headphone setup I want to have.

I was looking at this and there are many devices similar to it. Would something like this improve the sound quality from my headphones on my Acer laptop?

Sorry if I'm breaking any rules by posting that link but it was the only non-amazon link I could find!

• Brightness1982

Regarding the sound difference between the iPad 3.5mm headphone jack and my Acer laptop:

To be honest I'd say the iPad's 3.5mm jack headphones are about 50% than the Acer because it's louder and it can hit the bass really well even though I'm using the exact same headphones.

• billsey

Before I'd buy something like the SoundBlaster I'd look at Bluetooth headphones. :) Headphones would be more useful in the long run…

• Brightness1982

Are there any other headphone products people can recommend to boost my sound?

Thanks for your reply Billsey!

To be honest, I really hate wireless headphones because I'm always worried they're going to fall out :(

• billsey
    edited April 2023

I use Bluetooth over the ear headphone for listening to music on mine, but those are bulky. For on the go I use the bone conduction Bluetooth headsets, since they don't block ambient sound, have really long lasting batteries and give decent sound, since they typically have bigger speakers than the in the ear buds. Here is a set I reviewed for Amazon a while ago. There was an error displaying this embed.

• billsey
    edited April 2023

Looks like they didn't like an Amazon link…

ELIBOM Bone Conduction Headphones, Bluetooth 5.2 Headset, Wireless Open-Ear Headphones, Up to 9 Hours Music&Call, IP65 Sweatproof Sports Earphones for Running, Cycling, Gym, with Arm Bag (Grey)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,998 Pathfinder

The DTS Audio card controls onboard speakers, Windows11 controls the audio in jack, onboard mike, USB devices and wired headset/external speakers and then there is the Blue Tooth adapter that with Windows11 controls BT headsets. If Swift has also the Realtek Console app there is yet another factor to consider for wired headsets. The easiest way for any laptop is a good quality wired headset (with or without a mike) with the proper 3.5 mm RCA plug that has volume control and Windows11 with MS Media player (that comes with an equalizer/booster) will do the rest😉

• Brightness1982

Thanks for your replies!

I've been using these for about 12 months now: https://en.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-play-4

I trust the CREATIVE brand so I was wondering if it'd be worth it for me to buy a more expensive USB audio product from CREATIVE?

Here are similar products: https://en.creative.com/p/sound-blaster?filters=1199

• billsey

Sure, you can use those types of devices to allow you to continue listening through your wired headphones.