SFX14-42G-R607 support for 4K@30Hz (or 60Hz?) and 2K@30/60Hz thru USB-C?

Options
JonGauthier
JonGauthier Member Posts: 4 New User

Does the SFX14-42G-R607 support simultaneous 4K@30Hz (or 60Hz?) and 2K@30/60Hz thru USB-C? I bought a new USB-C dock with two HDMI output and one DP output, which supports over its HDMI outs up to 4K@60Hz for DP 1.4 or 4K@30 for DP 1.2. I have two monitors, one a modern LG supporting 4K@60Hz, and an older NEC supporting 2K@60. When outputing to both monitors, I can only get 2K@60Hz or 30Hz (whether I'm using HDMI or DP over the USB-C port thru a dock, or when using one HDMI on the dock and the laptop's one HDMI. According to the USB-C dock's documentation (a Selore 13 in 1 USB-C dock/hub supporting up to DP 1.4 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 over USB-C), it should work. Since it doesn't, am I correct in assuming it may be a limitation of the laptop supporting only DP 1.2?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

This is what your laptop supports for its USB ports, try to connect the old NEC DP with the hubs USB-C to monitors HDMI and the LG directly to the HDMI laptop port and see if that works.

• JonGauthier
    Options

Bypassing the USB-C dock to hook up to the laptop's HDMI port kind of defeats the purpose of the dock, doesn't it? Both my monitors have DP ports, but I'm throwing in a 4xHDMI-4K@60Hz KVM switch into the mix as well. And it works perfectly fine with my 2019 MacBook Pro thru its USB-C ports, so I know it's not the KVM switch.

I'll try using the dock's HDMI #1 port and its DP port, bypassing the dock to at least see if that works and report back...

• JonGauthier
    Options

I finally got things sort of working thru the laptop's single USB-C to the dock. I still have both monitors thru a 4x4K@60Hz-HDMI KVM switch, with one port feeding the 4K monitor input from the dock's DP port, and the 2K/HD monitor input from the dock's HDMI-1 input 4K@30Hz thru the dock's DP port and 2K@60Hz. The dock's single input for all things is the USB 3.1/Gen2 protocols over a USB-C connector - the laptop's single USB-C interface.

The dock's documentation says:

• HDMI #1 supports up to 4Kx2K@60Hz when source is DP-1.4, or 4Kx2K@30Hz when DP-1.2
    • HDMI #2 supports up to 4Kx2K@60Hz whether DP-1.4 or -1.2
    • DP supports up to 4Kx2K@60Hz when source is DP-1.4, or 4Kx2K@30Hz when DP-1.2

That tells me that this laptop, a 2022(?)-vintage, doesn't support DP-1.4 over its USB-3.1 Gen 2 over USB-C port. According to the standards, that port should support up to 8K@60Hz. DP 1.4 was released in 2016. I'm kind of disappointed since I just purchased it a couple of weeks ago...

I've searched everywhere, and nowhere can I find where Acer states which version of DisplayPort the Swift X 42G-R607 has, which leads me to believe it's still the ancient 1.2 spec from 2010 (or possibly 1.2a from 2013)?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Here's the spec:

The DP function on that port is handled by the AMD APU, which seems to set spec:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JonGauthier
    Options

I'll try my CalDigit USB-C Pro dock (with two DP video out ports), which normally I use for my work 2019 MacBook Pro to see if that works. The macbook has no problems simulaneously displaying 4K@60Hz on the LG 4K monitor and 2K@60Hz on the old NEC monitor thru a single USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port. It's supposed to support two 4K@60Hz monitors simultaneously whether it is connected to a Mac w/TB3 or a Windows PC with USB-C Alt mode (DP1.2/1.4)...

• Yanghuan123
    Yanghuan123 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

Dear Jon,

To assist you in solving the resolution and refresh rate issue , you can also try to do as below, and I have attached the link, you can follow it and accomplish it when you are free.
    https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Selore support