Can't locate BIOS from factory for Acer Predator P03-630G - New BIOS screwed up the wifi big time

Options
SoCal2023
SoCal2023 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a Acer Predator P03-630G and mistakenly allowed Windows to update the BIOS to R01-A4, which completely messed up the wifi (Ax201) on the computer. I flashed it to the only other version shown on the website (R01-A3) and it didn't make any difference. I have deleted and reinstalled the drivers, downloaded a newest version of the driver and still no dice with the wifi card (Ax201). I even installed an AX210 card today and it can't even connect to 5Ghz. I'm 100% sure this issue is from the bios update as I had an identical computer have the same issue after the BIOS updated. In that case, I just returned the computer, but in this case I don't have that option.

I called the tech support and they said all they have is the R01-A3 and R01-A4 bios. I have searched the net high and low looking for the default BIOS without success. Does anyone happen to have the default BIOS that this system came with from the factory?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,973 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023
    Options

The Wi-Fi/BT Intel AX 210 card is not compatible with this desktop and will never ever work, use what Acer uses as its oem Wi-Fi/BT cards for your desktop which are either the Intel AX 201 (2.4, 5 GHz (160MHz)/BT 5.2) or the Intel AC9560 (2.4, 5 GHz (160 MHz) and BT 5.0) or the AC9462 (2.4, 5 GHz/BT 5.1) or the MTK card as the wireless and BT should work irrespective of the bios with the new Intel drivers. Also install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant as you must have a driver issue that is not related to the bios and it could be a faulty card, port or both.

Intel Wi-Fi/BT cards used in the PO3-630G

Also check in the bios Advanced >Intergrated Peripherals >Onboard LAN Controller or Onboard LAN Option ROM or Killer E2600 Gigabit Ethernet Controller are NOT enabled.

Take the bios battery out and also reset the CMOS, as a bios update should not affect your Wi-Fi/BT function, it must be either the driver or the actual card that is faulty, Below is your PO3-630Gs motherboard components location and descriptions, the bios battery is located at #23 and at #20 is the M.2 (2230) E-key WLAN slot, so clean that slot out and check if any pins are damaged or your card is connected 100% and correctly as all the above Wi-Fi/BT cards should work 100% and Acer does not release a bios update if it will affect your wireless and BT functions. The bios version R01-A4 only fixes what the title describes in the bios which is "Fix Hynix BC711 SSD show Error in the SMART detection".

Clear CMOS

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

I can't imagine why a BIOS update would muck with your WiFi but we have seen issues with the Windows Update EFI updates changing from the defaults. Go into the BIOS and do a reset to defaults, then save and exit to see if the AX201 goes back to normal. The actual interface to WiFi is PCIe 3.0 x1 I believe, the Bluetooth connection is USB 2.0, and both are carried over an M.2 PCIe x1 interface.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SoCal2023
    Options

I reset the BIOS to default several times, but that did not fix the issue.

• SoCal2023
    Options

Well folks I was ready to call it quits, but finally decided to install a new image of Windows 11. Strangely, when I rebooted and went through the set up, it still did not see the AX201 card. I was ready to call in defeat, but decided to add a USB wifi card to get through the process (Windows 11 requires an internet connection to completely install). After I got to the home screen and went to the device manager, there it was...the AX201! I did all of the updates and i'm back in business! As a side note, i'm NOT going to have Windows do the two optional updates which caused this mess in the first place.

Thank you all for your assistance!

• SoCal2023
    Options

One final thing to add in case someone else runs into this in the future. The cause of the wifi going out was due to a Microsoft update listed under "optional updates" as Acer Firmware 5.16.10.40 - Installing this update IS the cause of the issue with the wifi going out. Do not install this update. I learned my lesson.