Acer Nitro 5 won't power on. blue light comes on for a few seconds

Options
Cryptomafia
Cryptomafia Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an acer nitro 5 that will not power up. No sounds or anything. The orange light stays on when the adapter is plugged in and when I press the power button the blue light comes on for a few seconds and then just goes off (no blink). I have tried the following

There is no pinhole so I could not try that

I have unplugged the adapter and drained the battery for 1 minute, then plugged adapter back in

I have removed and reseated the ram and the battery

Checked all wire connections

Also the battery powers on without the adapter plugged in so I don't think the battery is the issue.

There is absolutely no sound. No fans come on or anything.

What else could it possibly be?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,506 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023
    Options

Do the Hard Reset but this time take the bios battery out also and then with a paper clip, short its + and - pins for 2 seconds out, after you have removed the main battery and the ram, leave everything disconnected for 15min, reconnect all components and also check if the ram is faulty by inserting another module that you know that works, or if you have 2x ram modules only insert 1x only and swap the ram modules to see if any are faulty, as a faulty ram module will cause a blank screen and a no boot, as and after your ram is checked and its ok and you have done all the above, the laptop should boot properly if all its circuitries are functioning properly

If the laptop doesn't boot after doing all the above, then your laptop has problems in its primary power stage circuitries inside the laptop, these circuitries turn the laptop on, this is either with a capacitor or a mossat that has burned out or shorted and needs replacing but, if its a mosat in the primary power stages, its allot more critical as the power mosats govern the power going to the cpu or gpu and in a worst case scenario you could have burned out the cpu or gpu and that means a no repair and you need a new motherboard replacement Best is to take your laptop to an experience technician that has all the tools and micro soldering equipment to analyze and fix your laptop.

• Cryptomafia
    Options

Hey. Thanks for your reply. The good thing is I'm familiar with everything you mention but you are obviously more experienced than me. Is there a way you can message me directly with your number? I'm new here so I'm not sure how that works. I just feel that I can explain things better over the phone.

• StevenGen
    Options

Also try your eDP screen cable if its plugs and cable are not damaged or faulty and its plugs pins are not burned out, as that can also contribute to this fault that you are having.

• Cryptomafia
    Options

It's the motherboard. I noticed a burned out spot right between the ram and gpu fans. I was looking for replacement boards. I have an an515-54. An an515-53 should still be compatible correct?

• StevenGen
    edited January 2023
    Options

It doesn't matter if any component are burned out or even the mobo is burned, it can be fixed 100% and replaced and its cheaper than buying a new mobo, try to get a quote from a tech in your area, or try and contact Repair Requests: Contact Tech Cemetery as this guy specializes in burned mobos and circuitries and he will fix your burned out mobo and even if the mobo has burned out traces like new, this guy is very good and knows his stuff, as you burned out mobo/circuitries are hardly noticeable, as I cant see "a burned out spot right between the ram and gpu fans" is nothing (as your local tech could probably do a fix, so look around for a tech in your are) as its very minor of what I've seen this guy fix with mobos or gpus, if you cant find a tech in your area, then get into contact with him and send him a caption of your damage, as he will give you a quote.

If you want a new mobo then these are all the oem Acer AN515-54 mobos and part numbers and specs that are compatible with your model, don't get the AN515-53 as its different and won't fit into your laptops case. Try and get either the same board or a better spec board than what you have, this is the list of all the AN515-54 boards suitable for you: laptop, god luck and hope this helps you out.

• Hungrytazman
    Hungrytazman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

hello,

I am having a similar problem with a an517-54-79d2, not switching on after I tried to replace the screen, (I plugged the new one in to test and it wouldn't boot I also plugged the original in and carried out various tests to no avail) I am thinking that the problem may be or is the wire, as now the unit won't turn on same as this comment.

where can I buy a new cable from, any thoughts on the part number?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Mark

• Hungrytazman
    Hungrytazman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

hello,

I am having a similar problem with a an517-54-79d2, not switching on after I tried to replace the screen, (I plugged the new one in to test and it wouldn't boot I also plugged the original in and carried out various tests to no avail) I am thinking that the problem may be or is the wire, as now the unit won't turn on same as this comment.

where can I buy a new cable from, any thoughts on the part number?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

mark

• aaam
    aaam Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Could everyone in this chat reply and specify which part of your PC was causing the problem? I'm experiencing a similar issue with my laptop.

• StevenGen
    edited July 4
    Options

The eDP plug that you are showing a caption of is a 40 pin plug which means that your screen is either a 144Hz or a 165Hz refresher rate screen, or if you have a 120Hz or a 144Hz refresher rate screen you can upgrade the screen to a 165Hz screen. The below eDP cables are for your Nitro AN517-54 laptop, search the web for the appropriate eDP Acer part number on the right and get the correct cable for your laptop screen refresher rate which should be either a 144Hz or a 165Hz refresher rate eDP cable. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍