Acer Aspire 5 A515-54 original battery different from official one???

philipp_
philipp_ Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I opened my acer laptop up to clean the fans and to my surprise I noticed a 3 cell battery (see photo) when it's supposed to be a 4 cell (15.2V 48Wh). I've also searched for my SNID (NXHMZET0029XXXXX) in the official website as a confirmation. Moreover, several youtube videos confirm that the original battery, as stated in the website, should be 4-cell.

I was planning to replace the battery as it drains quite quickly (machine is 3 years old). What am I supposed to do? 11.4V 3 cell battery or 15.2 4 cell battery? Should I complain to the Support Center or not worth it considering the two year limited warranty has already expired?

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

This model comes with 3cell battery as well, so you have the genuine battery, you can buy any of the battery listed in the picture.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,203 Trailblazer

Hi @philipp_

I have the same laptop (G) also for 3 years and had major power issues with a LGCAP18C battery. My laptop, bought in the Philippines, came with the Murata AP18C battery: 11.4V 13.05V 4200mAH, 48WH (47.88) min. rated 3880mAH 44WH AP18C4K,  Acer part no.: KT00304012 AP18C4K(3ICP5/81/68) 93005226B101 but one cell died after 3 years so I bought the LGC: 7056LGCAP18C8K 50299 Mwh (2 WH stronger). No issues for several months till my laptop would not turn on anymore but worked with the LGC battery removed (on power adapter only). I replaced the LGC with a Murata battery last year and no further issues (still 100% capacity after a full charge after 3 months). I get 4-5 hours out of a full charge on Balanced power plan Windows 11 Home 22H2 (no games and not using my integrated NVIDEA GPU). Our motherboards and BIOS are very basic (won't read SMART) and the power supply is very finicky thus best to stick with the mechanical SATA HDD and Murata battery above even as Acer and peers claims otherwise.🙂

• philipp_
    philipp_ Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2023

Hi @brummyfan2 , thank you for the info. Out of curiosity, what's the criteria for finding compatible batteries for any given machine?

Hi @Puraw ! Thank you for your valuable experience!

Strange how LGC became incompatible after some months.. I guess I'll have to safely stick to Murata one (my Acer came with a SSD instead of HDD). Did you buy an original Acer MURATA battery or was it a replacement?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,203 Trailblazer

The Murata came with the laptop bought from Acer Philippines in December 2019, the LGC was purchased online by mail order; the latter has a larger charge than the Murata and that may have caused my problem. I was referring more to a SATA (EVO) 2.5" SSD the smaller size PCI SSD you probably have works fine in our models (may run a bit hot). Laptops (any brand) not turning on because of power issues, either city power (adapter) or battery (static charge, SMART issues) can happen any moment, right after purchase or after 3 years (in my case), this was easy to fix before with the external removable batteries but is a hassle with the internal battery packs (pin hole reset or open the laptop to disconnect the battery). I recommend that you buy the Murata with the Acer part number sticker, slightly more expensive but IMO more reliable. What I don't like about this Aspire a515-54 is the flimsy plastic body with a poor hinge design (hinge will crack after a few years heavy use), the 11 screws/nuts will also come lose after opening the back cover several times (and the low volume sound is frustrating) but I guess you get what you paid for. The system is very reliable, no issues.