CAN I UPDATE THE ACER XC_895? Is there a way to enable it?

ZENBENZINE
ZENBENZINE Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hello everyone, we have a computer Acer XC-895 with intel core i5 and 8g memory ram. I was trying to enable the xmp this option is not available in the bios. Is there a way to enable it? or can I update this PC to give it a little bit more power? we use it normally as media center, whats movies with our tv, but sometimes in high quality videos struggle. What you guys recommend? thanks in advance!!!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

XMP memory is not supported with these models. We need to know a bit more about your specific computer to give many suggestions. Do you have a HDD or SSD? Changing from a HDD to a SSD will give you by far the biggest performance boost. Next is likely to be memory, going from the 8GB in it now to 16GB can also make a reasonably big difference. A GPU card is only indicated after you have done the other two mods, since watching videos doesn't really task the internal GPU much.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Does yours have a GPU in the back? Im wondering if you could drop in a low profile low power GPU to do media decode, something like a A380 or a 1650 LP

• billsey
    Answer ✓

XMP memory is not supported with these models. We need to know a bit more about your specific computer to give many suggestions. Do you have a HDD or SSD? Changing from a HDD to a SSD will give you by far the biggest performance boost. Next is likely to be memory, going from the 8GB in it now to 16GB can also make a reasonably big difference. A GPU card is only indicated after you have done the other two mods, since watching videos doesn't really task the internal GPU much.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ZENBENZINE

Tinkerer

Thanks you very much. i´ll try to do this changes to the computer

• ZENBENZINE

Tinkerer

hello again. I just bough another 8g ram memory with the same specifications of the one that comes with the pc. But when I install it in the second slot, and connect everything again. the computer start a beep, and the beeping stop just when I turn the computer off. I checked switching the rams between slots but the beeping continues. Then I removed the old one and put the new in the slot that was always in use and there is no beeping (so the new ram works perfectly and is not faulty). Then I installed just in the second slot ( the one that was always empty), but both the new and the old ram cause the beeping. what can be the problem? Is the slot damage? can I install one ram of 16g in the slot that was always in use with an 8g ram? thanks in advance!!!

• billsey

Spec says "Up to 16GB per DIMM with maximum memory size up to 32 GB", so it should work with two 8GB sticks or one 16GB stick. It does sound either like you have an issue with the second slot or you just aren't getting it fully seated when in that slot.

• ZENBENZINE

Tinkerer

yes, it seems to be that. I tried again and is the second slot. so, I bough a 16g ram, am waiting for it to arrived and then try with it. I hope it really helps giving a little bit more speed to the pc. Thanks for the help!!!

• billsey

Speed change will depend a lot on what was causing a slowdown. In Task Manager on the performance tab was it showing more than 8GB in use? That would definitely cause speed issues. Do you have a SSD or a HDD in your system? We typically recommend an upgrade from a HDD to a SSD before adding more memory.