Acer Aspire 5745G Vintage Password Safe re-install Win7 to Win10 where?

Options
Eskimo449
Eskimo449 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Acer Software

I recently upgraded a old Acer Aspire 5745G model ZR7A manufacture 2010/08/11 from Win7 to Win10 by making an image of the drive with Macrium Reflect to an external USB drive, then reformatting the internal drive and installing Win10 from a USB stick to get a clean install. When I returned the machine to my client, she was dismayed that her stored passwords were no longer there.

Does anyone know which app Acer might have pre-installed on the original machine that might have been involved? Client is very basic user and has no idea. I thought it was "MyWinLocker" but when I was able to find and reinstall this on my own machine, it seems it only creates an encrypted drive, and doesnt have a plugin for web browsers to manage and store passwords. Looking at a list of software on the Win7 version, I see a lot of pre-installed Cyberlink stuff, the Egis Technology MyWinLocker but nothing else obvious as a password safe.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023
    Options

>>>Does anyone know which app Acer might have pre-installed>>>

Unfortunately, the only pre-installed Acer app currently available for this vintage machine is the Acer updater at this link. This updater is not a password holder. Any non-Acer PW holders that were pre-installed are on your Macrium USB image or on the hidden Acer OEM Win7 factory resest partition. Can't tell you which ones cuz it varies with the machine's serial number and where it was sold. And only those on the Macrium image USB holds her passwords. I guess you know what that means if you want to try to UN-dismay her. Sorry.

PS: The Macrium image only applies to one machine. And it's the machine with the same serial number id (SNID) from which it was made.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Likely the stored passwords she is asking about were in her browser, not in an Acer app...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.