Hi! My Predator PO3-620 died having burned the vid card and amaybe MB

andyHC
andyHC Member Posts: 4 New User

Im thinking power surge which has never happened here, also other units on same powerboard not frazzled. Lucky didnt start a fire as I was away.

Is this common? Had no issues really prior. Is it now scrap?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

But it might not have affected the motherboard itself. If you have an old GPU to test with, try to see if the system will come up without that GPU.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• NeoGeo
    NeoGeo Member Posts: 157 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Thats dead and scrapped looks like the VRAM burnt out.

• billsey
    Answer ✓

But it might not have affected the motherboard itself. If you have an old GPU to test with, try to see if the system will come up without that GPU.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andyHC
    andyHC Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks Billsey I'll give it a crack but i'm sure I dont have a gpu so long as I can get pics off the onboard ssd Ill be happy. disappointed though loved the Predator, me.

• billsey

Yes, you should have no issues with recovering data from the SSD. I would be very surprised in a short on the GPU's PCIe bus would do anything to the PCIe bus for the SSD.

• olivaay
    olivaay Member Posts: 2 New User

the same happened to me, that's a bummer to hear about your Predator PO3-620! A fried graphics card and potentially the motherboard is not the holiday gift you were hoping for.

Power surges could be a culprit, but explore other possibilities:

• Dust buildup: Over time, dust can build up inside your PC, causing overheating and component failure. check your case and components for dust bunnies and give it a thorough cleaning.
    • Faulty PSU: While less likely that other units on the same powerboard are fine, a power supply malfunction could still be the culprit. Check for any bulging capacitors or burning smells on the PSU.
    • Static discharge: If you touched any internal components without properly grounding yourself, the static discharge could have damaged the graphics card or motherboard.

• olivaay
    olivaay Member Posts: 2 New User

also Remember, even if it's the motherboard, all hope is not lost. Depending on your warranty and technical know-how, repairs or replacements might still be on the table.