X34GS not finding USB-C or DP

Options
Herrbrun
Herrbrun Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi! I just got my X34GS and I'm having some issues. The reason I bought this monitor over competing ultrawide 34" gaming monitors was that it has a USB-C connection with enough power output to do my home office work from my laptop. However, it doesn't find a usb-C signal. That's very weird because my laptop gets power from the cable, but the laptop doesn't register this as a monitor and the monitor doesn't find a signal from usb-C. So something is definitely weird.

The other issue is that only HDMI works from my dekstop. I just had it connected to my old monitor via DP so I'm quite sure it sends a signal, but the new X34GS doesn't pick it up. I've tried both selecting each DP individually (and I've tried the cable in both) and just trying to let the monitor find a connection, but DP doesn't work. The screen picks up the HDMI signal, but I prefer DP on my desktop for gaming for all the obvious reasons.

Anyone know how I can try to debug this?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

This is an Acer guide:

How to connect a computer with USB-C port to an external display

What do I need to connect my computer to an external display using the USB-C port?

Some systems will use a USB-C or Thunderbolt™ 3/4 port to output video to an external display. Use the instructions below to configure your system to output video to an external display.

Locate a USB-C or Thunderbolt™ port on your system that supports video output. Please note that not all USB-C ports are able to carry a video signal. You will need to connect to a port that is labeled with one of the icons below.

Use a method below to connect your computer to the external display.

• Use a USB-C to USB-C cable to connect directly to a USB-C port on a monitor
    • Use a USB-C to HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI port on an external display
    • Use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter to connect from a USB-C port on the notebook, to a display port on an external display

Change the input on the external display to the connection type that you are using. On some Acer monitors, you will need to use the DP Alt setting when connecting with USB-C.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

This is an Acer guide:

How to connect a computer with USB-C port to an external display

What do I need to connect my computer to an external display using the USB-C port?

Some systems will use a USB-C or Thunderbolt™ 3/4 port to output video to an external display. Use the instructions below to configure your system to output video to an external display.

Locate a USB-C or Thunderbolt™ port on your system that supports video output. Please note that not all USB-C ports are able to carry a video signal. You will need to connect to a port that is labeled with one of the icons below.

Use a method below to connect your computer to the external display.

• Use a USB-C to USB-C cable to connect directly to a USB-C port on a monitor
    • Use a USB-C to HDMI cable to connect to an HDMI port on an external display
    • Use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter to connect from a USB-C port on the notebook, to a display port on an external display

Change the input on the external display to the connection type that you are using. On some Acer monitors, you will need to use the DP Alt setting when connecting with USB-C.

• Herrbrun
    Herrbrun Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi and thank you for the response. I use the thunderbolt output on my laptop, which is the same as I have been using for three other monitors/docking stations to send a scren signal, and I did choose USB-C correctly in the

Weirdly, the USB-C problem seems to have solved itself, as it worked half a day later without me doing anything in the meantime. So now the monitor registers the USB-C (thunderbolt) signal.

However, I still can't seem to connect to my desktop through DP. I'll give it some time to sort itself out there too, but I feel I need to do some real troubleshooting soon.