Nitro KG2 Monitor KG282K BMIIPX repeatedly disconnects what else can I do to debug this?

Fillername
Fillername Member Posts: 6 New User
edited January 2023 in Monitors

I recently purchased a new monitor, but whenever I try to connect it to one of my Windows 11 machines, it fails to connect properly. The screen starts booting up, and any other screens that I have connected to the computer begin to readjust to accommodate the new screen, but then the new monitor resets and the process starts over again.

What I've tried so far:

I've connected to a different machine that uses ubuntu with no issue. Therefore, the monitor seems to be fine, and the cable also works.

Updated Windows

Updated display adapter drivers (I could give specifics, but this failure has occurred on two, very different machines, one of which is brand-new. What they have in common is an AMD processor and Windows 11).

Update BIOS (again, both computers are different, but I will give more info if needed).

Restore BIOS defaults.

Talk to ACER support.

ACER support insisted that this monitor didn't need any special drivers. Is that true? Right now, it looks like my computer uses an old monitor driver from Windows.

Otherwise, what else can I do to debug this? Please let me know if any more info is needed.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

For most Acer monitors, the proper boot sequence is to turn the monitor on first. Wait a few moments . Then turned the PC on.

Jack E/NJ

• Fillername

I have started with it on. I think it was in sleep mode; if I turn it on while it's in sleep mode it doesn't stay on long if there's no input. Just to be sure, I took it out of sleep mode, then started my computer, but the problem is the same as it ever was.

• JackE
    edited January 2023

>>>if I turn it on while it's in sleep mode it doesn't stay on long if there's no input.>>>

No. Let it turn off, not wake it up. We need a cold boot. Then Try to cold boot the monitor again. Just wait a few moments after turning it on before cold booting the computer. It shouldn't turn off that fast unless there's a hardware issue.

Jack E/NJ

• Fillername

I gave that a shot, but again, no luck. Interestingly, I can get into the BIOS screen. It's just when Windows starts that I get the reset issue. Which makes sense, since this monitor works just fine with my ubuntu machine. I don't even need to do any cold boots with the ubuntu machine; it just works from the moment I plug it.

• JackE

>>>ACER support insisted that this monitor didn't need any special drivers. Is that true?>>>

Probably not. Try to install the Win10 driver at this link. Use Win10 compatililty mode if it doesn't install. Also download the AcerWidget. And a users manual if you don't have one.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=KG282K&filter=global_download&suggest=KG282K;0

Jack E/NJ

• Fillername

So installing the driver helped a little, I think. After cold-booting the monitor, then the laptop, the monitor now spends a little more time connected to my computer. Though, the issue is still the same as ever: monitor connects, then disconnects, then repeats.

I got the Acer widget that you mentioned, but I don't know what to look for there.

I'm attaching the driver details; is it normal for there to be two?

• JackE

>>>I've connected to a different machine that uses ubuntu with no issue. Therefore, the monitor seems to be fine, and the cable also works.>>>

What is the brand and model number of your Windows PC?

Jack E/NJ

• Fillername

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD.

• JackE

>>>whenever I try to connect it to one of my Windows 11 machines, it fails to connect properly>>>

>>>>>>I've connected to a different machine that uses ubuntu with no issue. Therefore, the monitor seems to be fine, and the cable also works.>>>

The problem clearly isn't your ACER monitor. The ASUS TUF FX505DD. model reportedly has Win11 graphics issues with some games/apps and is apparently awaiting at least a BIOS update. If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you join the ASUS ROG forums to follow progress on this if you don't want to revert back to Win10 as has been suggested. Acer does not provide graphics driver or firmware updates for Asus PCs. Sorry.

s

Jack E/NJ

• Fillername

Well at least I have a solid lead for now. Thanks for that.

My other computer has a Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard and EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card, and it has the same issues. Does ACER also not provide graphics drivers or firmware updates for items of these brands?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

They typically are designed without a user interface for firmware updates, so require a trip to a service center that has the specialized diagnostic boards for reflashing firmware.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

>>>. Does ACER also not provide graphics drivers or firmware updates for items of these brands?>>>

Sorry no. Acer only provides drivers & firmware for its own proprietary Acer PC hardwares, not Asus or Aorus proprietary PC hardware. They are separate companies.

Jack E/NJ