ACER ASPIRE 5 model aspire A515-45 how/where to find the Windows OEM/product key?

Options
RozMcPhee
RozMcPhee Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2023 in Windows 11

I just bought this laptop. I am trying to find the Windows OEM/Product key. In "System"/"Activation"/"Activation State", The current Windows 11 status is active, and it further states " "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". The product key is not displayed. I purchased this laptop 5 days ago with Windows 11 already installed. There is no physical document with an OEM, and I can't locate it anywhere on software. Can someone tell me how/where to find the Windows OEM/product key?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options

It may not have a traditional key, even in the UEFI. Instead MS is moving to keys which just activate based on the Mobo and windows account on the device. Not a huge fan of the new method though as it forces you to have a MS account ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activate-windows-c39005d4-95ee-b91e-b399-2820fda32227 )

You can check if there is a product key burned into the UEFI by running

(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService'). OA3xOriginalProductKey

But most likley it will be empty!

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited January 2023
    Options

Yes, many vendors are going to a DLA (digital license agreement) that is more a volume license than individual. Can still have a local account but having it registered with Microsoft makes recovery/upgrade easier. Of course making a recovery drive (16GB SD is good) should be first. Just make sure the "Microsoft account" mentioned is yours.