Acer Swift 3 SF 316-51 - Fingerprint is not working in linux deepin (Deepin 20.8)

Muhammadjon96
Muhammadjon96 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello everyone,

Now my Operation system is deepin, linux. There is a fingerprint in my laptop, but not working it. when I used windows 10, 11, it used to work.

My laptop is Acer swift 3 SF316-51-51DT,

Please help me to use fingerprint

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,509 Trailblazer

Try to enable your fingerprint by using the Linux methods to do this, see here for the different Linux versions, as and if your fingerprint worked in Win-10 and 11 there is nothing wrong with the hardware and its a software issue.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,509 Trailblazer

I haven't used Linux that much and I'm really not experienced with Linux, as I gave you an alternative link to the fingerprint drivers and installation guides within Linux and its various fingerprint install versions. You will need to either contact Acer or a Linux forum and find out the interclasses of why your fingerprint reader doesn't work.

• austinrojers
    austinrojers Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the same issue; it seems Linux doesn't have the required fingerprint drivers.

Acer should provide the fingerprint drivers upstream to the Linux kernel.

It's a shame you pay $720 for an Acer Swift 3 and don't have a working fingerprint.

Everything else works in Linux.

Is there any way we can communicate with Acer developers to provide Linux with the necessary drivers?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

It's typically an issue with the Linux developers not getting the drivers from the manufacturer of the chips that provide that funciton. They get it added to the kernel eventually, but it often takes a year or so before they have support for everything. Do you have exactly the same model as the original poster in this thread? We can often look up which chip is used, and that gives a pointer to where there might be drivers. Acer doesn't usually ship any models with Linux, so don't grab Linux drivers from the developers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • austinrojers

I have Swift SF314-43 with Ryzen 5 5500U CPU.

You can't just grab drivers like you do in Windows probably in the form of an exe installer and install it. As far as I know you have to provide the drivers to the Linux kernel or if it is a proprietary driver you you to create a separate kernel module and provide the package.

If Dell, Lenovo, HP can provide fingerprint driver for Linux, so can Acer.

• austinrojers

Linux being opensource and non-profit, doesn't go to manufacturers to get hardware support, anyone can contribute to Linux, so can Acer contribute the necessary drivers to Linux.

Microsoft go to different manufacturers to enable their hardware on Windows, so that more people use Windows on as many hardware as possible and they can make more profits.

• billsey

Acer doesn't ship that model with Linux installed as far as I know, so they won't spend money on developing a driver, they leave that to the chip manufacturer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • austinrojers
    edited February 2023

Sorry for the late reply.

The fingerprint device in the laptop is LighTuning Technology Inc. EgisTec EH575.

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:1c7a-0575

I wondered if Acer had any tie-up with EgisTec (A Taiwanese company).

You could ask them to develop a driver for Linux. You see, there are a lot of Linux users having this issue.

If you do a google search of "Egistec EH575", the entire results page shows linux forums having the same issue.

If it is not possible for you, how can I approach them so they would consider this request?

• billsey

It looks like there is easy access to a Windows driver, but Linux drivers haven't been successful so far.