Can I add a HDD to my (new) Orion 3000 PO3-640-ER11

stelorone
stelorone Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2023 in Predator Desktops

I am not a computer tech so this may seem somewhat simplistic to most of you.

I purchased a new Orion 3000 PO3-640-ER11 w/ Core™ i7-12700F, 16GB, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, RTX 3060 before the holidays and am now getting around to working on installations, etc. One primary objective is to (either) upgrade the Toshiba 1 TB HDD or add an additional 4 TB HDD. There is an additional slot and what appears to be the power cable (4 wires) has 2 connectors... one plugged into the existing 1 TB drive and another waiting to be used (I assume). The 1 TB drive has the SATA cable connected to the motherboard. There is an available slot on the motherboard for a 2nd SATA cable which I would need to purchase separately from my local shop.

Is it possible to add the 2nd drive so that I would have the 512 gb SSD + 1 TB HDD + 4 TB HDD?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Yes, you can add either a 3.5" HDD or a 2.5" SSD, but you need an adaptor for a 2.5" SSD (see below) to be able to mount this drive into the case, so check that out if the case has provisions for a 2.5" SSD drive to be secured to the drive's spaces. If you want a 4TB drive,

I suggest that you buy an SSD type drive like these drives the Crucial MX500 4TB 2.5" 3D NAND SATA III SSD With 9.5mm Adapter

or the Samsung 870 Evo 4TB 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s V-NAND SSD MZ-77E4T0BW or the Samsung 870 QVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III 4-Bit MLC V-NAND SSD MZ-77Q4T0BW

3.5" to 2.5" adaptor

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Although expense is going to be factor when you are talking capacities of 4TB and larger. If the data on the big drive is something that will need to be accessed constantly, like video files when being edited, then a SSD is much, much better. If it's data like music or video files than a HDD is going to be a lot cheaper in those sizes. You are correct that all you will need is to mount the new drive and connect the SATA power and a SATA data cable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lisanke
    lisanke Member Posts: 3 New User

Steven, I also recently purchased the Orion po3-640 and see the 2nd connector on the data cable But I did not see the 2nd drive Power Cable dangling anywhere. I already have 3.5" HDD to populate 2nd drive (not SSD). I'm OK with fast OS boot and DLL load but have a lot of data and programs which will be loaded and do Not need SSD performance. I assume the 2nd drive can by a tradition HDD with rotating disk? Also, please comment, If you know, on the 2nd HDD power cable. Is it provided? A HDD does not come with its cables anymore (they don't know where/how it'll be used).

• lisanke

It appears I was mistaken. The missing cable appears to be the SATA Data cable from MB to Drive (one one supplied). Is there a specification to obtain a SATA Data cable. The MB connector where 1st drive is attached has a nearby 2nd empty connector But it doesn't appear to be the same shape as the cables shown on Amazon. Thanks again for Any help.

• lisanke

BTW, finally contacted Acer support by chat and they said they'd mail a HDD Kit to install a 2nd drive. I'm not certain why having up-to-date information about standard install items (as indicated in Users manual) would be restricted. E.g. I asked if the connector and cable spec could be disclosed in chat. Nope. something about warrenty install issue.