Accessing files from a broken Acer Aspire A515-51 Is there a way I can access the files?

SimonJG
SimonJG Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Acer Aspire A515-51 that will not turn on. When I connect it to the charger I can see it is charging, but nothing happens when I press the power button.

I want to try and access the files on the laptop but in removing the cover it doesn't look to have a hard drive.

Is there a way I can access the files and transfer them to a USB or another computer?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer

As far as disk recovery, there are some software's around that work, but you need the laptop to work, or you need another PC to recover its data with and a PC with 2x M.2 drives, from my experience and if you have valuable data, I would get a professional data recovery place and tech to do this job for you, as you could and probably destroy all the data on this valuable drive😀!

Try to first do this, open the back cover by removing the seventeen (17) screws securing the lower case, then disconnect the main battery and the RTC/BIODS batteries and take the ram out too, then short the + and - pins on the BIOS battery plug at the motherboard, leave everything disconnected for about 15min, and clean the fans, vents and ram slots, reconnect everything and try to boot the laptop, as this should reset the laptops either super IO or bios chip.

Main and RTC/BIOS battery removal

If it doesn't work, then you have other power on problems, first it could be the power key button that could be broken or your laptop has problems in its primary power section with a burned out mosat or a capacitor that regulate power to your motherboard, which can't be fixed by a user resetting and/or doing anything as you needs to taken this laptop to an experienced tech that has all te appropriate tools to analyze and fix your laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

M.2 SATA SSD boot drive:

Secondary 2.5" SATA drive

• SimonJG

Thanks very much Steven, I will give this a try and see how I go.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,939 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023

Hi @SimonJG

Did you try to turn-on your laptop without the battery (disconnect the battery cable from the mother board), just with the charger connected? If that works your battery is bad.

• SimonJG

No I haven’t tried that but I will!

thanks