PH315-54 eGPU being limited by predatorsense?

Options
SpencerSDH
SpencerSDH Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2023 in Predator Laptops

So, I just got an 3060 eGPU for my Predator PH315-54 and I'm almost certain that the clock speed is being limited by whatever software limits the performance of the internal GPU. Games mostly perform the same or worse than they do on the internal 3060.

However, the laptop has a turbo mode, and when it's enabled, the gpu clock goes up and I get a small framerate boost. Well, even when I have the internal GPU disabled, this framerate boost still happens, albeit to a lesser extent. I'm also getting 100% GPU usage on the eGPU, even though that shouldn't be happening. My CPU isn't being utilized fully, so I know it's not a bottleneck there, and if it was a thunderbolt bottleneck, then the gpu wouldn't be at around 98% utilization, so I know something is up.

I need help figuring this out.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>So, I just got an 3060 eGPU>>>Games mostly perform the same or worse than they do on the internal 3060.>>>I need help figuring this out.>>>

I wouldn't expect the generic desktop 3060 GPU connected to a mainboard external port to perform as well as the mobile 3060 GPU internally connected directly to the proprietary Acer mainboard bus. What led you to believe otherwise?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    Options

What eGPU do you have, is it the Razer CoreX, Blade Stealth or the best of them which is a combo box and GPU is the AORUS RTX 3080 Ti GAMING BOX.

Always make sure that you are running the last PH315-54 bios Version: 1.14, and also windows 11 version 22H2 last OS build 22621.963 and the last RTX gaming driver, also when buying an eGPU box you should always upgrade to a box with a GPU card that has a better GPU than your mobile GPU has, as and in your case not to an RTX3060 but an RTX3080 Ti (like the AORUS RTX 3080 Ti GAMING BOX as its one of the best on the market) as that is the only way that you will notice a huge amount of gaming improvement and connect the eGPU to the PH315-54s USB Type-C / Thunderbolt 4 port - that connects to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector and supports Thunderbolt™ 4 and displays, as that is the best connection.

AORUS RTX 3080 Ti GAMING BOX Back Panel:

Back Panel I/Os

• Thunderbolt™ 3 type-C x1
    • Ethernet port x1
    • USB 3.0 x3
    • Video output (HDMI x2, DPx3)
  • JackE
    Options

>>>So, I just got an 3060 eGPU>>>Games mostly perform the same or worse than they do on the internal 3060.>>>I need help figuring this out.>>>

I wouldn't expect the generic desktop 3060 GPU connected to a mainboard external port to perform as well as the mobile 3060 GPU internally connected directly to the proprietary Acer mainboard bus. What led you to believe otherwise?

Jack E/NJ

• SpencerSDH
    SpencerSDH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Based on everything I read online saying that the desktop gpu was significantly more powerful than the laptop gpu, and the performance difference between the two is greater than the performance loss through an external port. Like, everything.

• JackE
    Options

Sorry. The only external GPU setups that might perform better are those which connect directly to the mainboard's PCIe bus usually via a free m.2 mainboard socket. However, they are not neat and tidy since cable access must be rigged through the case from the socket to the external PCIe socket..

Jack E/NJ