Predator PH317-54-76NW Issue with my laptop failing to turn on but it still charges

Options
LordAlaster
LordAlaster Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Predator Laptops

Good day,

So I have a Predator laptop, Model PH317-54-76NW, purchased February 2021 Johannesburg South Africa, I used it to the best capability, but as of 26 December 2022, 10am, my laptop refused to turn on, the charger still works, it shows orange and blue respectively, but when I press the power button the charging lights vanish.

I have taken it to Incredible Connection and they believe it’s a MotherBoard issue, I have tried contacting my local Acer store to no avail, calls are disconnected, emails unresponsive for the week. Is there a solution out there that I’m not seeing, I’ve checked the previous submissions with the same problems from other users and they didn’t seem to revive a solution.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,754 Pathfinder
    Options

@LordAlaster

Remove the charger and press and hold the power button until all the lights goes off . Than press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and than try to turn it on

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • LordAlaster

Tinkerer

Options

Hi

thanks for the suggestion but that didn’t work, the battery light shined orange. I held the power button as instructed but it still refused to turn on, in fact it did the same thing as before where the charging light disappeared as I pressed the button going black, then returning 3 seconds later.

Are there any other solutions you can recommend?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,973 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023
    Options

Just an additional suggestion as I'm speaking and advising you from personal experience which does work and has worked for me many times with a black screen and laptop booting and turning on, is to do a "Hard Reset" by taking the back cover off and taking the main battery and RTC/BIOS battery out and shot the BIOS batteries +&- pins out and also take the RAM out, leave everything disconnected for about 15min (as all this resets the Super IO and BIOS chips that control virtually all commands to your laptop) then reconnect everything and power the laptop on, as that should work and reboot your laptop.

If all the above doesn't work then its either an eDP screen cable issue at its plugs to the screen or motherboard connections, check that out and see if any of these plugs are not shorted and/or burned out, as if it is at the screen then the screen has been ruined and both screen and eDP cable need replacing, if the plug is shorted at the motherboard then you need to take your laptop to an experienced tech that has micro soldering tools like a microscope and can fix this plug and its mobo traces so that a new eDP cable can connect to this plug and make your screen work, as that is the main problem when a laptop that turns on and the screen doesn't work.

• LordAlaster

Tinkerer

Options

I tried the hard reset recommended and I had no success, I noted everything I did, but as I placed everything back together I still encountered the same problem:

Power button does not activate the laptop, it still causes the charging light to briefly disappear then reappear indicating that it’s charging.

Given the year is still early and the holidays for most companies are still ongoing, are there any other recommendations that can be effective? Or should I cut my losses and take my laptop to ACER itself to be fixed?