Why won't my 165hz monitor perform past 100hz?

Options
Dillonqo710
Dillonqo710 Member Posts: 2 New User

Greetings! My monitor is advertised at 144hz(HDMI)-165hz(DP) though on windows only shows up to 100hz. In the last 5 months I have tried on many different occasions to set CUSTOM display settings thru nvidia control panel, for my 31.5" curved Acer Aopen 32HC5QR P and everytime the settings are applied, the monitor goes dark for a few moments, and when it displays again its reverted to original setting. Its been extremely frustrating.

My current rig is 2-3 years old using a MSI 1660TI 6GB GDDR6 paired with a Ryzen 7 3700X on a ASROCK x570m pro4 MB. It is connected via a DP cable though I'm unsure which version (thought this may be the issue). I find it incredibly hard to believe that a GPU from 2019 is unable to perform past 100hz, especially after a quick google search shows many other 1660TI users able to play at 144hz just fine. I just really want to know what the deal is! Do i need to go buy the latest greatest DP cable to ensure compatibility or did I over estimate graphics card technology and buy a GPU incapable of 144hz 1920x1080P.

Acer seems to think the latter, however that was determined over a less than 3 minute phone call. No explanation was offered when i mentioned seeing dozens of 1660TI users playing 144hz just fine. He ended the conversation saying I should upgrade to a 30 series card! LOL. Oh, and I understand the difference of 100hz and 144hz/165hz isn't really going to change much, but I specifically purchased a higher refresh gaming monitor to see what my system could do.

Thanks for your time in helping me resolve this months long dilemma.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022
    Options

I use the HDMI 2.1 on my Dell 27 – S2722DGM 165Hz 1ms QHD Curved Gaming Monitor so that I can play games on 1440p at 144Hz as this resolution comes up automatically on this monitor with my desktop AMD 5900X, 64GB DDR4-3600MHz and the RTX-3080Ti gpu and it works perfectly, make sure that your gpu driver is up to date. Below is a guide and hope this helps you out.

IMO, the best cables for 144hz is the HDMI 2.0 and above as that will give you the best "picture quality, with at least an HDMI 2.0 or above to support 1440p at 144Hz.

Below are the differences between 1.4 and 2.1 HDMI so use these cables and don't use DV:

1. The HDMI 1.4 standard supports a 1080p resolution of up to 144 frames per second. This is particularly useful for gaming applications or when watching a fast-motion video, such as sports or action movies, because it allows smoother motion and less motion blur. You will need at least an HDMI 1.4 specification to provide support for 3D TV displays as well as 4K resolution at a refresh rate of 30 Hz.
    2. HDMI 2.1 is so exciting because it supports 1440p at 144Hz, which means that HDMI 2.1 was developed specifically for gamers who want to get more out of their gaming monitors; in other words, HDMI 2.1 is the best HDMI for 144hz. The HDMI 2.1 also includes support for lower rates, including 24Hz and 30Hz. This is important because films are often shot in those frame rates, so not supporting them would mean you'd see stutter motion on your films.
    3. DisplayPort versions include: Version 1.0 - DisplayPort cables were developed as a replacement for DVI and VGA and is a royalty-free standard that anyone can use. Version 1.0 was released in 2006 and supported 1440p @ 60 Hz and 5.18/8.64 Gbps. Version 1.1 it was released in 2007 and transmitted high-quality video and audio. It supports 1440p @60 Hz and has a bandwidth of 8.64 Gbps.

Resolution/Refresh Rate Shortcut: Right-click the desktop -> Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Change Resolution If you’re an AMD user, right-click on the desktop and select “Display Settings.” From here, scroll down until you reach the “Resolution” setting and select your monitor’s native resolution from the drop down menu.

• Dillonqo710
    Dillonqo710 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for the information! I always thought that DP was HDMI's replacement, since it was released about 4 years after HDMI. I also thought that since the monitor was advertised as HDMI-144hz/Display Port-165hz, they would include the correct cables for it to perform to its listed specs. Though like I mentioned above the customer service rep was of no assistance, he just wanted to blame my "old" GPU, no mention of cable differences or troubleshooting. I was close to sending it back, but figured the discounted price I paid for the size/quality is still okay, even if its not refreshing at the rates it claims. Anyways I am rambling, I will update tomorrow once I hunt down a 2.1 cable. Thank you!