TravelMate P215-41-G2-R6G9 randomly shuts down. I found the solution (it works not only for me)

NickToTrick
NickToTrick Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

The exact laptop model is TMP215-41-G2-R6G9

System logs shows event id 41 and 6008

I bought the laptop in February 2022. Since then the laptop randomly shuts down. It could work 5 minutes or 2 hours before shutting down but it happened regularly. I have found and tried every possible way to fix the problem, but nothing has worked.

The only solution that worked was to disconnect the battery from the laptop and connect the laptop to the mains. I know at least 1 person with the same laptop that had the same issue and this solution helped him as well.

Most likely the problem is hardware related. Please try to fix this with a new BIOS version.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Tiredes00
    Tiredes00 Member Posts: 4 New User

I confirm, it turns off at any time regardless of whether it is loaded or idle, the USB port periodically disconnects with the mouse disconnected. The amount of video memory does not scale from the amount of RAM, only 512, this is pointless, at least give the opportunity to independently choose the amount of video memory in the BIOS. I will probably have to return the device to the store. Sadly.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

Which OS are you running? I've only seen reports on the AMD systems with so far and I can't yet pin it down to the chipset or Windows...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NickToTrick

Tinkerer

Windows 10/11. AMD Ryzen 7 pro 5850u. The laptop turns off even without a battery once in 2-3 days as well. With battery every 1-3 hours

• NickToTrick

Tinkerer

• Tiredes00

Windows 10/11. AMD Ryzen 5 pro 5650u, updated Ram from 1x8 to 2x16 (Kingston 3200).

• billsey

So both AMD based... Does it happen when in the BIOS or booted in a Linux Live image? That would help pin it down to hardware or Windows...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NickToTrick

Tinkerer

I left the bios running for several hours a couple of times. There were no shutdowns. Shutdowns occurred only when the operating system was loaded.

• Tiredes00

Shutdowns occurred when the operating system is running.

• billsey

OK, so very likely a Windows specific issue then. Can you post details on what Event Viewer is saying about them? Sometimes EV won't capture it, sometimes it'll do an entry just before the shutdown.

• NickToTrick

Tinkerer

Here is a list of some logs. Event 6008 occurs when the laptop is turned off

• billsey

So, at 9:57 the system was trying to automatically install the latest cumulative update for Windows Insider Preview and you had an unexpected reboot starting at 10:02. No error was thrown. Everything after that was typical startup events. Try manually installing the update to see if it crashes when installing that way, or maybe throws an error that can be recognized.

• NickToTrick

Tinkerer

I reinstalled Windows 11. Here is a fresh list of logs. The PC shutdown in about 20 minutes.

• Allen_123
    Allen_123 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same issue too, please fix it.

• billsey

Again, it looks like it was doing some sort of update just after midnight, the kernel-general entries starting at 12:08:18 are first a time zone change (to the same zone as it was already) and then some registry entries. Though there are also a lot of UPnP entries with https://*:2869 URLs. What else is on the network that might be trying to muck with your router settings?

• Tiredes00

When the laptop is turned off, Event Viewer no log, all updates are disabled.

• Michal654564
    Michal654564 Member Posts: 1 New User

we have the same issue with 12 computers with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics 1.90 GHz, 16Gb ram, windows 11. and with all 8x model with 5650U. all shut downs randomly. All 20 computers we have are randomly shutting down… we are going to return it to our vendor

is there any simple solution?

• Allen_123
    Allen_123 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Billsey, by Michal654564's comment, it looks like a common problem, can you fix this annoying problem ASAP?

• billsey

Likely not common, though it might be something that affects just a specific production batch of CPUs.

• NickToTrick

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

I found a solution how to prevent random shuts down. Need new BIOS version from ACER asap.

1. Win + R
    2. Type control.exe
    3. Choose "Power Options"
    4. Choose "Change plan settings"
    5. Choose "Change advanced power settings"
    6. Choose "Processor power management"
    7. Choose "Maximum processor state"
    8. Change 100% to 99%

This laptop has a poor cooling system for such a powerful processor. With these settings, its performance decreases, but it prevents random shuts down. On one forum I found an answer that Acer sent a special version of BIOS to the client for a similar laptop model, which is not on the their official website and which solved the problem. So it's not a proccessor's issue, it's up to Acer company.

• NickToTrick

Tinkerer

I found a solution how to prevent random shuts down.

1. Win + R
    2. Type control.exe
    3. Choose "Power Options"
    4. Choose "Change plan settings"
    5. Choose "Change anvanced power settings"
    6. Choose "Processor power management"
    7. Choose "Maximum processor state"
    8. Change 100% to 99%

This laptop has a poor cooling system for such a powerful processor. With these settings, its performance decreases, but the laptop doesn't turn off. On one forum I found an answer that Acer sent a special version of BIOS to the client for a similar laptop model, which is not on the their official website and which solved the problem. So it's not a proccessor's issue, it's up to Acer company.