What will adding a SSD to my Aspire TC-780-AMZKi5do as far as improving the gaming experience?

jetman777
jetman777 Member Posts: 5 New User

I upgraded my 5 year old Aspire TC-780 -AMZKi5. It's been a great personal PC with no problems until a month ago. The 300w power supply burnt out. I found an APEVIA VENUS SERIES 450w PS on ebay installed works great. Well I might as well upgrade the 8gb of RAM. I got 2 8gb ram cards from A-Tech. Twice the Ram I got twice the performance start up and loading speeds. Might as well get a Graphics card since the TC-780 never came with one. I got an ASUS Geforce GTX 1650 OC 4gb. The upgrade has opened the door to the PC cloud gaming world. I lost my optic DVD drive in the process. I've spent about $250 so far and I have heard I need a SSD to make the gaming upgrade complete.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,174 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

@jetman777

Instead of downloading windows 10 on a flash drive you can even order recovery media.

Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  scroll down - click on eRecovery media on the bottom of page.  Enter the snid no - you can place the order for recovery media.  It might be a set of disks or recovery usb flash drive.  Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  You can also order it from Acer store. 

Recovery media is a unique media which is designed only for your computer.  It cannot be used on any other computer.  It comes with drivers and applications which is designed for your computer.  

Kindly go through the details from the link given below

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/129-acer-recovery-media

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• @jetman777

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/ssd-improves-gaming-experience.html

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• jetman777
    edited December 2022

Mr William-MRK. Thank you for the link and YES I do need a Solid State Drive. I could not download Google play. I got a message "unable to install No SSD". Looks like I need to do the 2 drive install or format, that is do a clean Windows10 install on the SSD and use my 1TB HHD for storage. For about $100 or less a can get an internal 2.5in SATA 1TB Solid State Drive. My question now is" How to Format this arrangement". Any links will sure be appreciated.

• @jetman777

How to install windows 10 using media creation tool

Try this method..

On a different working computer. 

Go to the website 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Below the info Create Windows 10 installation media

click on download tool now.. 

It will download the windows media creation tool - click on media creation file on the lower left corner.

Insert a blank 8 gb flash drive 

it will download and install the windows 10 on the blank flash drive.. 

Now insert the flash drive on the broken or non working computer

Go to bios by tapping del or f2 while turning on the computer. ( tapping del is for desktop , f2 for laptop )

Go to main - f12 boot menu - disabled - press enter on disabled - change it to enabled

Go to boot or boot options tab on the top

boot mode - uefi

secure boot - enabled

f10 save the changes

Turn on the computer by tapping f12 - It will show you the boot menu

Boot it using flash drive..

click on install

chose custom

on where do you want to install windows screen - It will show you the partitions of multiple hard disks. If you dont have any data you can remove all the partitions on both the hdds. If you have removed all the partitions , it will become like two unallocated space for both the hdd.

chose the ssd

There is no need to format it.. 

chose the unallocated space 

click on next 

It will install the operating system on the ssd

On the "where do you want to intall windows screen", without removing the other partitions you can even chose the ssd by checking the size of hdd, delete and install the operating system on the ssd partition. If you remove the partitions it will become like unallocated space. If you dont like to remove the partitions you can simply chose the partition , click on next and install it on the right hdd.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,174 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

@jetman777

Instead of downloading windows 10 on a flash drive you can even order recovery media.

Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  scroll down - click on eRecovery media on the bottom of page.  Enter the snid no - you can place the order for recovery media.  It might be a set of disks or recovery usb flash drive.  Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  You can also order it from Acer store. 

Recovery media is a unique media which is designed only for your computer.  It cannot be used on any other computer.  It comes with drivers and applications which is designed for your computer.  

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/129-acer-recovery-media

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• jetman777

UPDATE: Thank you Mr WILLIAM-MRK. I spent $89 on a new Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD to upgrade my TC-780 from the dreaded old HHD that was OEM. It is running the best it can on a 2.0 SATA interface. My mistake thinking it was going to perform as a 3gen x4 NVMe. I am getting Sequential Read/Write speeds of 580/530. It is defiantly 5 times faster the old HHD. I can now say my TC-780 has BLAZING speeds. One thing that is funny is BIOS does not recognize that the SSD is even installed. Shows SATA 0 "NO DEVICE INSTALLED" .Samsung will not let me install the downloaded Driver for the SSD because of that. Windows 10 Device manager list it by its name Samsung 980 and I am using the MS standard NVMe driver. Would the Samsung driver be the "best" I think so. I also think if Bios were to recognize the SSD would it change anything perform better . IDK. Limited to the 2.0 SATA interface. Any of my bother TC-780 owners ran into the same problem? I did a clean windows 10 install with the media creation tool usb flash drive. The Samsung Magician software worked Excellent initializing and and Partitioning the ssd setup. I only installed Windows 10 twice by mistake. it was easy to delete the extra download. the $350 total upgrade cost was worth it to me.

Acers are good computer to upgrade on.

• @jetman777

I am glad it worked. You are Welcome!

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★