Specs for PCIe / NVME on a Aspire A315-42-R39T laptop ? (New SSD not working properly)

Hello, I just installed a new Western Digital SN770 ssd and in the M.2 slot of the motherboard but it's exteremely slow according to test results.

The original ssd that came with the laptop was a SK Hynix HFM256DJTNG-8310A. It supported NVMe but I'm not sure what generation (I think 3rd)

The SN770 is a 4gen I believe for NVMe. If the laptop supports up to 3rd gen NVMe shouldn't the new SN770 operate at the maximum of that generations speeds?

My test results show otherwise, what is the problem here?:

FAQ & Answers

• Hi,

Your laptop supports Gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSDs, WD SN 770 is a Gen 4 SSD but it's backward compatible with Gen 3 SSD capable motherboard, SN 770 speeds will be restricted to Gen 3 speeds.

Try Crystal Diskmarkand post the results.

CrystalDiskMark - Crystal Dew World [en] (crystalmark.info)

• Yummy1536Yummy1536 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

I did post results from the Linux version of CrystalDiskMark (KDiskMark). They should be no different...

• Have you tried updating the sata ahci controller drivers?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Yummy1536Yummy1536 Member Posts: 4 New User

This is regarding nvme drives, ahci is a protocol that only concerns sata drives.

• Hi,

I am not familiar with Linux systems, so I am unable to say whether readings are good or slow, please wait for someone else to chime in and give you a correct advice.

• lakakhanlakakhan Member Posts: 2 New User

The NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) standard is a high-performance host controller interface for SSDs that allows for faster data transfer speeds than traditional SATA-based SSDs. The NVMe standard is backward-compatible, so a newer NVMe SSD such as the Western Digital SN770 should be able to work in an older NVMe controller, but it may not perform to its full potential.

Property Management Software

The fact that you're experiencing slow speeds with the Western Digital SN770 SSD in your laptop even though it's a 4th generation NVMe SSD and your original SSD was a 3rd generation NVMe SSD, it could mean that the laptop's NVMe controller is not compatible with the newer SSD, it's not able to provide the bandwidth that the SN770 requires. This can happen when the laptop's NVMe controller is based on an older version of the NVMe standard, and it doesn't support the features of the newer SSD.

Another possible reason could be that the SN770 isn't compatible with the specific motherboard, some motherboards have compatibility issues with specific SSDs, even if they are the same NVMe standard.

It's recommended to check the motherboard manual or the manufacturer's website for the list of compatible SSDs, also, you can contact the manufacturer of the laptop to confirm the compatibility of the SN770 with your specific laptop model and to check if there are any firmware updates to fix the compatibility issues.

It's also possible to try to update the bios or the NVMe controller driver of the laptop if they are available, sometimes this can solve the compatibility issues.