Can I charge my Acer Aspire A515-57-52H6 with the USB Type-C port

Options
sman123
sman123 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Can I charge my Acer Aspire A515-57-52H6 with the USB Type-C port? The user manual PDF v1.0 say no but the Acer website specs say yes.

From the PDF at above link, page 13.

"USB Type-C port with DC-in (A515- 47) Connects to the provided USB TypeC power adapter and to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector. Supports DisplayPort™ over USBC™"

"USB Type-C / Thunderbolt™ 4 port (A515-57/ A515-57G/A515- 57GT/A515-57T) Connects to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector. Supports Thunderbolt™ 4 and displays. "

From above website link

"USB Type-C Detail: USB Type-C port: USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps), DisplayPort over USB-C, Thunderbolt 4, USB charging 5 V; 3 A, DC-in port 20 V; 65 W"

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi,

If you are asking whether you can charge the laptop through USB-c port, no, you can charge any equipement needing 15W power by connecting to USB-c port, the laptop need 65W charger.

DC in port is where you connect the AC adapter(19V, 3.42A,65W)

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    edited December 2022
    Options

that dc in port statement is where the usb c specs are written. it is an error.

but in fact, it has separated charging port. look closely on the upper left side.

• sman123
    Options

Thanks for the info. Of course I am aware of the proprietary charging port. I bought this laptop thinking I had the option to use the non-proprietary USB-C port as well. Some laptop manufacturers are offering both options now.

• sman123
    edited December 2022
    Options

I certainly does look like a spec error on the website. Of course I am aware of the proprietary charge port. I bought this laptop thinking I would also have the option of using the non-proprietary USB-C port as well. There are other manufacturers offering both options on newer-generation laptops.

• rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

the only way to find out is to ask the seller in your village (i mean, country).

i mean "hello sir, does this laptop support charging over the usb-c port, besides the regular dc-in charging port?"

• sman123
    Options

Acer will most likely be forced to provide this option in the EU just like Apple is being forced, so best of luck selling to that 'village'.

• simplerider
    simplerider Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

yes, built in thunderbolt port does charge the laptop, dont have 100w cable, but was able to get 60w output from my 100w usb c powerbank. Model i got is A515-57-52YQ

• fewitz
    fewitz Member Posts: 24 Networker
    edited May 2023
    Options

I am using this model A515-57-59VS, it supports Thunderbolt 4. If i buy a 65w charger can i charge the laptop with 65w.

• vrm0421
    vrm0421 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Yes! Thunderbolt™ 4 delivers: High bandwidth: 40 Gbps of bandwidth dynamically allocated for data and video, ideal for heavy workloads or fast file transfers. Quick charging: Up to 100W of power for laptop charging and up to 15W for computer-powered accessories.

• sman123
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't think all models with Thuderbolt 4 can do that. Even within the same model of laptop. Mine is the A515-57-52H6 and has Thunderbolt 4 but I don't think it has all the other necessary hardware for that.

• Gulams
    Gulams Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Yes, it does. If supports thunderbolt 4.

I've tested it yesterday with an old MacBook charger at work which seemed to be around 97W ( I could be wrong).

Aaand it went from 80% to 94% in about 30 mins while on standby (too slow)

I've ordered the Xiaomi 120W charger as well to test the charge speed.

If its not as fast as the acer's barrel pin charger, I'll just stick with Acer's

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,264 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

All thunderbolt 4 ports have Power Delivery. You can use any of these USB-C laptop chargers for your laptop, connect the USB-C cable to your USB-C port with the electric bolt symbol next to it: https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-usb-c-laptop-charger/ I recommend getting the 90-Watt charger with a fixed HD USB cable, the smaller GaN universal USB-C chargers come without a cable and don't support fast charging.

• m_edmundson
    m_edmundson Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

To be sure, I just tested a A515-57-53T2 with a 65W USB-C PD3.0 charger, and it worked. The only quirk I noticed was that it seemed to need the laptop to be turned on first before plugging in the USB-C cable initially, or it wouldn't detect the charger and start charging. Besides that, once the laptop was turned on, I plugged in the USB-C cable — this caused the laptop to produce a beep to announce that it was charging in this way — and then I checked the charging light on the side and the Windows battery information in the system tray to confirm. Once it was charging, I was able to hibernate it and it continued to charge.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,264 Trailblazer
    Options

Disable Hibernate and Fast Startup as these two options interfere with Windows Modern Standby protocol. A 90-Watt charger that I recommended will charge your laptop to 100% in 1 hour. 😉

• m_edmundson
    m_edmundson Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

No need to disable Hibernation if you use it, though! It didn't interfere with charging.