Chromebook 311 C722-K81A boot issue. could to reset the device.

cparas101
cparas101 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Chromebooks

Chromebook 311 C722-K81A

Black Screen, esc, refresh power, insert recovery usb,

run recovery utl, select Acer ChromeBook 311 C722/C722T

Insert into Chromebook goes black, I can esc,refresh, power and the screen will comeback to insert USB for a few 2nds and than go black again.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I wonder if the drive has failed. If the drive has gone bad the symptoms would be similar, and the recover would fail because it was unable to write good data to the drive. I believe yours has a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard, and eMMC drives do not last as long as other options. Are you still in warranty?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• It sounds like the USB stick that you are using or the USB port is faulty, redo the USB again on a different and working USB stick and then reboot and try to get into the recovery utl again, as the USB has errors, this happened to me just recently with a brand-new working USB stick and I needed to clean the disk iby going to cmd then type in; LIST DISK > SELECT DISK x (x being the USB drive) > CLEAN as this will clean the USB and then you can reformat the USB and make it recognizable so that it won't give you a black scree. If the clean disk process does not work the first time then try the same again, otherwise the USB stick is damaged and /or your USB port is damaged. Try that first and let us know as black screen can be caused by many other issues.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@cparas101

Kindly follow the steps given below

Unplug all the cables and devices from chromebook

Hold the power button for 1 minute

Connect the power cable and turn on the computer.

Check whether it takes you to login screen.

If you are able to go to login screen you can login and use the computer.

If it is still not workig.

When you get the insert usb screen message while peforming esc + refresh + power

Try ctrl + d

Try enter

Try space

It will take you to welcome to login screen..

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.  It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.   If it is not connecting to a wifi at your home please try to connect to a wifi in a different place or try to go to a hot spot and try to connect to a different wifi and check. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• cparas101
    cparas101 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your response, went through steps, goes into Dev mode, wait you will reboot, goes black never comes back?

This step never happens? The recovery process will start automatically after approximately 15 seconds.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I wonder if the drive has failed. If the drive has gone bad the symptoms would be similar, and the recover would fail because it was unable to write good data to the drive. I believe yours has a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard, and eMMC drives do not last as long as other options. Are you still in warranty?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.