PT516-51s-75WM Blackscreens next boot after Intel UHD Driver install

Options
AnoBit
AnoBit Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi there,

so far i'm happy with my new Laptop i am using for developing software and minor gaming.

After i had problems with a game not starting (EVE Online) & after some searching i updated the intel driver from the Acer website. Afterwards windows 11 does boot, but the login screen is just black. I can login with the fingerprint sensor etc., but the display remains black.

My solution to get something working again was to enter recovery mode & disable the intel graphics card in the device manager.

This sadly also entails not being able to set display backlight intensity (default is maximum) - which i can't tolerate when developing 8+ hours on a laptop.

I browsed through this forum and other places in the internet and didn't find something that works for me so far.

TL/DR:

BIOS is most recent version, UHD Intel driver came through the "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" - currently deactivated in device manager, latest NVIDIA 3070 driver from nvidia.

Will give the acer drivers another shot and post updates here.

Best Answer

• AnoBit
    Answer ✓
    Options

I (seemingly) fixed it by reverting the Intel UHD Driver to 27.20.100.9415 via windows update.

So the currently my working constellation is:

BIOS is latest version according to Acer Website (v1.07)

VGA Drivers from the Acer Website (462.35)

Intel UHD Driver via Windows Update

I don't get why newer drivers should cause such behaviour. Let's hope a broken driver doesn't make it into the windows update repository...

Answers

• AnoBit
    Options

Installing the VGA-Driver from the Acer website & enabling UHD graphics card did not help. On reboot i had the blackscreen again and had to switch into recovery mode to deactivate it.

Fun fact: If i activate the UHD graphics card from the device manager once i am logged in, it works. It just blackscreens on the next reboot.

• AnoBit
    Answer ✓
    Options

I (seemingly) fixed it by reverting the Intel UHD Driver to 27.20.100.9415 via windows update.

So the currently my working constellation is:

BIOS is latest version according to Acer Website (v1.07)

VGA Drivers from the Acer Website (462.35)

Intel UHD Driver via Windows Update

I don't get why newer drivers should cause such behaviour. Let's hope a broken driver doesn't make it into the windows update repository...

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

When you used Intel Driver and Support Assistant, did you choose to do a clean installation of the Intel driver?

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!