Acer C24-1700 Windows 10 Install - Can't find hard disk - None of the other solutions work

jhg
jhg Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in All-In-One PCs

I'm trying to install W10 on a brand-new C24-1700

I get the dreaded "We can't find any drives..." message.

What I have already done:

• Added a BIOS password and disabled secure boot
  • Enabled BOOT menu in the BIOS
  • Downloaded the Intel RST VMD Driver and placed it on the W10 installation media
  • Selected the driver in the installation dialog

I still get the same "Can't find any drives" message.

ALSO, the BIOS access keys DO NOT WORK. I see the message at the bottom of the screen but none of the keys have any effect, it just boots to the installed Windows Home. The only way I've found to boot off the USB drive or access the BIOS setup screen is to go through Windows advanced restart options.

I need two solutions:

1. How to truly enable the BIOS access and BOOT menu keys
  2. How to install W10

Best Answer

• jhg

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

The problem seems to be that the disk included with this system is not attached via SATA but as an nVME device.

Neither Windows 10 nor Windows 11 recognizes this as an installation target, and adding the RST VMD driver does not help because that driver expects to find a drive on the SATA controller.

The answer turns out to be DISABLE VMD in the BIOS

Why is this not easily findable?

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

Try downloading and extracting the chipset driver: ChipsetIntelChipset Driver10.1.36.64.1 MB2022/05/26download

If the problem continues, press the DELETE key to access the bios and disable the vmd controller:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jhg

Tinkerer

edited December 2022

OK, how is that driver added to the install USB drive? And why is something this simple so difficult?

• jhg

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

The problem seems to be that the disk included with this system is not attached via SATA but as an nVME device.

Neither Windows 10 nor Windows 11 recognizes this as an installation target, and adding the RST VMD driver does not help because that driver expects to find a drive on the SATA controller.

The answer turns out to be DISABLE VMD in the BIOS

Why is this not easily findable?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

You extract the driver to a folder on the install USB drive, then when you get to the prompt where it's asking where to install use the driver button, then navigate to the folder where you extract the files and it should then load the iRST drivers and show you the new drive as a target. In your case the zip to extract to the install flash drive is the SetupRST.zip files included in the download, not the download itself.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jhg

Tinkerer

The only solution that worked for me was to disable VMD in the BIOS.

After that, I still needed to install the driver, but then it could see the internal drive.

• czposix
    czposix Member Posts: 1 New User

After contacting a support, this driver worked for me:

http://uk.answers.acer.com/euf/assets/images/AnswerImages/67544/INTEL%20Storage%20Generic%20Driver%2018.0.0.1135_v2_Verified.zip

worked for me. VMD Controller BIOS Option have to: Enabled

regards