Acer Predator Helios 700 (PH717-71-7091) Ram upgrade issue

Options
JohnnyMustang
JohnnyMustang Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Hey guys.. I have an Acer Helios Predator 700 from 2.5 yrs ago. (PH717-71-7091) It came with 16 GB of Ram. I wanted to do a small ram upgrade and kinda went ham and purchased: Corsair Vengeance Performance SODIMM CMSX64GX4M2A2666C18 64GB 2666MHz CL18 from Amazon. I popped the 64's s into the Service Hatch slots (they were empty btw) and booted up my system. It registered 80 gb of ram in bios and in windows, however the system kept crashing shortly thereafter and blue screening. Seems like there is a conflict between the factory installed 16 Hynix Ram and the new 64 Corsair.

Only way for me to unmount the original 16 is to dissassemble an entire laptop as the memory slots are under the keyboard and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I was quoted by diff tech places it'll take anywhere from $75-150 to do that. My question is. If I get a tech to Uninstall the original factory memory from the memory slots underneath the keyboard, would I be able to install the 2x32 Corsair Vengenance into the easily accessible 2 slots under the service hatch? Or will i need to put those 64's in the place of the 16 I uninstalled that are underneath the motherboard/keyboard?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022
    Options

Below are the OEM Acer recommended system memory specs for the PH717-71-7091 laptop and type of ram modules suitable for your PH717-71-7091 laptop, keep to using those, as they work, don't fix or upgrade anything that aint broke.

Follow what Acer recommends for their max total of 64GB for this laptop which is 4x 16GB DDR4-2666Mhz type ram. For the 64GB total I would strongly recommend that you populate all 4x slots with the Acer recommended 4x 16GB type ram and not with 2x 32GB Corsair Vengeance Performance SODIMM CL18 which is an overclocked ram that is not suitable for your laptop. Also, as I'm not surprised, that you are getting BSODs and system crashes, as having a total of 80GB ram is not suitable for the PH717-71-7091 laptop mobo and bios and that is why its crashing. Do the above and also update the bios to the PH717-71-7091 laptops latest bios Version:1.10 which will also assit this laptop to run on a total and max 64GB memory and also run this laptop on Win-11 latest version 22H2 OS build 22621.900 as then you will have a great and very speedy gaming, video editing and very speedy laptop, good luck and hope this helps you out😀.

Ram slots at back case side

Ram slots at top cover/keyboard side

• JohnnyMustang
    JohnnyMustang Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

Bro ty for all that info. I will return the Vengance ram. I have a question though.. For my laptop.. It already has 2x8 Hynix memory.. If i wanted to add another 2x8 that is compatible already with the 2x8 that are already inside, which ram should i buy? Which 16 kit should i be getting that will most likely not have any conflict issues with the already installed ram. Can you give me a link to the store thanks

• StevenGen
    Options

Always match the ram that is installed into your laptop by Acer, install CPUz and look at this softwares Memory and SPD sections at your ram existing specs at Slot #1 and Slot #5 of this software and get the RAMs Module Manuf and Part Number of your existing ram that is fitted to your laptop, search the web and try to buy and match the same ram modules.

Below is an exsample of my fitted RAM to my Nitro AN515-56 that has 2x 8GB DDR4-3200MHz and all I did is just bought the same ram that Acer fitted to my laptop to increase the ram to 16GB at dual channel as it only had 8GB stock from Acer.

The below Ram is DDR3200MHz type ram CL22 at these specs DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 260-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8/1Rx16 • PC4-25600

CPUz SPD Section Slot #1, this is for DDR4-3200MHz CL22

Slot #5

If you can't get the exact part number ram that Acer has installed OEM then do a Crucial System Scan as this scan will always give you the most compatible ram for your laptop like for your laptop has OEM which is the DDR4-2666MHz, also look at the CPUz Memeory and the highlighted numbers and get the exact DDR4-266MHz ram that has those number for your existing 2x 8GB DDR4-266MHz that is fitted to your laptop.

CPUz Memory Section, this is for DDR4-3200MHz CL22,