TravelMate P414-51 Expandable ethernet port failing to make contact with ethernet cables

FrustratedAc3rUser
FrustratedAc3rUser Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa

The expandable ethernet port in my laptop a TravelMate P414-51 Model Name: TMP414-51-79NL | Part Number: NX.VP2AA.002  is just a mess. I am a Technical Field Engineer who move around and provides supports to business on site. Of course, many times I have to have the laptop on a chair, on my lap, holding with one hand etc. while the ethernet cable is connected to the laptop and I have so many disconnections that stress the heck out of me.

For example, last night I had to climb a ladder over 14ft high to reach out for a networking device and I brought my laptop with me to make some networking tests. Almost impossible to use the ethernet port, I had to wrap around the ethernet cable on a pipe and pulling and pushing it back and forth until the cable made the proper Conexion inside the Expandable Ethernet Port.

Looks to me that these laptops are made to have them glued on top of an office desk with an ethernet cable glued as well, because if you move the laptop or the cable your internet will be drop. Image the craziness of being in a conference call and you being the only one being disconnected several times or being in the field and not knowing for sure if it's your laptop or the appliance without signal.

Truly a nightmare.

I will support any Action Class Lawsuit against Acer to replace these ports.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022

Why don’t you use the Wi-Fi 6 AX201 feature of this laptop, as this laptop has the usual Ethernet (RJ-45) port that connects to an Ethernet 10/100/1000-based network and this port is only made for very limited connections and not hundreds of pug in or pug out circumstances. The bottom line here is that you have damaged the Ethernet (RJ-45) port that needs to be replaced and this job has to be done by an experienced technician that has all the micro soldering tools, the way that you are using this laptop and its Ethernet (RJ-45) port is NOT the usual way that 99.99% of users use this port so you have no comeback on Acer as you have damaged this component prematurely. In over 35 years of using computers and ever since the Ethernet (RJ-45) port has been around (which circa 1973) I’ve never ever had you problems and/or had an Ethernet (RJ-45) port go wrong. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

I have used that type of port on several laptops now, in essentially the same way you are. When the cable clicks into place is stays connected well. Is the hinged portion broken on yours maybe, since that is where the cable latch goes?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.