Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-778U battery that runs out in less than 1 month

ssdsds
ssdsds Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,

I have this problem, on my Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-778U battery that runs out in less than 1 month.

It's the 4 time that I use and I charge the battery until full, than I turn the pc off and I leave it there for 1 month witout turn it on.

But when I try to turn it on the battery is 0%, completely discharged.

As I saw, I have as I saw in the posts, I put that by pressing the switch, the pc turns off completely.

I attach the powercfg images.

It is normal thath in 1 month, without using the pc, the battery goes 0%?

Yesterday I charge it in 2 hours and 10 minutes.

How long does the battery last for a similar pc using only internet and office?

(I7 11800 + nvidia 3070 + 16gb + ssd 1TB)

Thank you very much.

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,209 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited December 2022

The battery is not discharged in a month due to pure self-discharge. Is the device completely off after switching off or in a sleep mode that consumes power? Check the power settings. What is set when the machine is turned off with the power switch? Is the USB charging function off? If you have Quick Access installed, you can switch off USB charging.

• ssdsds

Tinkerer

Thank you,

I will try your method on wednesday morning.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions...

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder

ssdsds the normal time for a predator gaming laptop battery its from 2.5 to 3h at best (i guess even less on newer 3000 series they consume way more power than 2000 or 1000 series) unless you undervolt with TS and optimize it at max to extend the battery life etc and if you dont charge it for 1 month the batteries will discharge same happens with all other devices also the more devices you have plugged via usb the more the battery will discharge keep checking your battery wear with hwinfo or battery bar pro if it reaches more than 15/20% consider replacing it as it has damaged cells but again you should never use the laptop on battery only AC it was not designed to game on battery only emergency cases or really light work.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ssdsds

Tinkerer

Hi, I found Quick Access and indeed there was USB-CHARGING button ON.

I have now deactivated it. I'll do more tests in 15 days.

Thank you

• ssdsds

Tinkerer

Hi Xapim,

I tried this morning to do win 11 updates using only the battery. The battery was at 100% and lasted 1 hour 50 minutes (using WIFI only and only updating win 11).

Until today I have only used it for office and surfing the internet and nothing else.

NEVER PLAYED (also because I don't play).

So never used the boosted graphics with the GTX 3070.

I've never used the USB socket to recharge cell phones or anything else.

Are you saying I should always use it plugged into the house? I thought you could use it on battery until it was almost empty and then recharged for better battery life.

Are the 2 programs you recommended free?

I'm a little saddened by all of this.

Thank you

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Keep the battery between 20% and 80% (can be limited in Acer Care Centre).

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • XdxD

Also, if you don't even use RTX3070, you could have gone with other powerful laptops without dedicated GPU. They would have had better battery backup.

• ssdsds

Tinkerer

Hello XdxD, thank you for the advice, I will see to charge the battery when it drops below 20% and disconnect it from the charge when it reaches 80%.

However, my request was due to the fact that by fully charging the PC battery and leaving it stationary without touching it for a month, the battery went to 0. I was trying to understand if it was a battery problem (therefore taking the PC to assistance) or if it was a normal thing.

As for not using the 3070 it was just to test battery life without heavy GPU usage.

Since I will need this GPU later, I decided to get a pc with this card. I know very well that if I only wanted to do office and internet I could use a lower cpu and a video card integrated into the cpu.

Thank you

• XdxD

Taken from the manual.