USB-C (Thundebolt) port inactive on Swift 3 SF314-59-75QC

forestial
forestial Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a new SF314-59-75QC, Windows 10. Latest Acer Thunderbolt driver 1.41.1030.0 is installed. BIOS updated to latest 1.09, and the "TBT" thing is Enabled in BIOS. A Thunderbolt Controller 9A1B appears under System Devices in Windows Device Manager.

The USB-C port seems to be inactive. I plugged an Anker PowerExpand 12-in-1 dock into it; there is no indication that the dock is recognized. The dock is powered on from its own power adapter. Nothing seems to appear newly in Device Manager when plugging this in.

If I plug things like HDMI monitor, USB keyboard or USB storage devices into the dock, nothing happens. I would expect that Windows would be able to detect them.

If I plug a simple charging case for ear-buds into the USB-C port of the laptop, nothing happens. No power is supplied to the charging case.

Is there a setting somewhere to enable this port? I realize it is possible that my Anker dock is faulty but the fact that I can't even get power from the USB-C port makes me think that the problem is with the laptop.

Answers

• The USB Type-C / Thunderbolt™ 4 port on your SF314-59-75QC has the following specs:

Your Anker PowerExpand 12-in-1 dock shpuld work perfectly with your laptop and coonect to its USB-C port, as its USB-C pots upstream port is at 5 Gbps and PD-IN 100W. Check your hubs power adapter and connection and all other connections, also check the laptops USB-C port with another component like a phone etc and see if ity works as these USB-C ports very rarelety go wrong.

• forestial
    forestial Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks. I connected my phone (using a different cable) and that worked, so I suspect I had a bad USB-C to USB-C cable. I got a replacement cable and now I seem to have connection to the dock. A USB memory stick plugged into the dock is accessible from the laptop, and audio works; also the dock seems to be charging the laptop. So I appear to have a good dock, a good cable and a good USB-C port on the laptop.

Next step (the original goal) is to get two monitors working through this dock. It has an HDMI port and a DisplayPort. Neither of them seem to be detectable by Windows however.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

Most of the docks need drivers in order to initialize the video ports...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.