How to make Nitro 5 fans temporarily stop when using PC?

Options
kaychowmein
kaychowmein Member Posts: 1 New User

My PC's fans broke and it takes about 4 - 8 weeks to get it replaced. In the meantime they let me keep the laptop as I need it for work. The buzzing noise of the GPU's broken fan is freaking me out and I'm worried that something might burst, however I need to use the computer for a living. Is there any way where I can stop the fan from moving until I can get a replacement?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Is there any way where I can stop the fan from moving until I can get a replacement?>>>

Sure. You can easily disconnect the fan's 5volt power plug from the mainboard. This will likely cause the GPU chip to overheat and disable the laptop so you can't use it anymore. How's that sound?

If it was mine, I'd rather temporarily wear earplugs to make money if the buzzing freaked me out too much while waiting for the replacement to arrive. I'm more the type who freaks out more when not making money than hearing buzzing, 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    Options

We can't advise you to disconnect the gpu fan, as there is a more than 90% chance that you will destroy the laptops gpu and mobo from overheating, you can't completely disable the NVidia or AMD secondary gpu's as and if you disconnect its fan, then there is a big chance that you will fry the mobo circutries and the gpu circuitries making your laptop inoperable. Its very unfortunate that you need your laptop for work but these are the penalties we have to pay if our supply chains and spare parts are made in other countries.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Is there any way where I can stop the fan from moving until I can get a replacement?>>>

Sure. You can easily disconnect the fan's 5volt power plug from the mainboard. This will likely cause the GPU chip to overheat and disable the laptop so you can't use it anymore. How's that sound?

If it was mine, I'd rather temporarily wear earplugs to make money if the buzzing freaked me out too much while waiting for the replacement to arrive. I'm more the type who freaks out more when not making money than hearing buzzing,

Jack E/NJ

• Ghost6969
    Ghost6969 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2023
    Options

What a load of crock. Unless you are playing games or cryptomining, the GPU will never overheat - even with no fan whatsoever - unless it's 100 degrees in the environment.

Second: I can feel if my nitro 5 is hot by touching the the thing just above the keyboard, and it never is hot while browsing the web, working a word document, updating my text notes, etc. etc.

I typically turn off my fans to save power consumption because I live in a van and run my Nitro 5 off a 400 watt power inverter, which is something I've been doing for 3 years. I also cut the power to the fan in the inverter so the ***** thing continues to provide 360 watts to my notebook - because I can also touch the thing to see if its hot, and it never is.

Fans consume watts and ALL computers can do basic functions without them.

• Ghost6969
    Ghost6969 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Furthermore, anything that consumes watts produces heat…. such as FANS.