Can I update my bios to uefi Aspire M3985

Options
wrinkly
wrinkly Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have the aspire m3985 shipped with windows 8, I downloaded windows 10 and am looking to upgrade my gpu and was wondering if it where possible to upgrade my legacy bios to uefi

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,027 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

If your bios is legacy, then you can't use the UEFI bios updates from Acer, as they won't work, or you can change your bios to a UEFI as the bios needs to be reprogrammed or a new UEFI bios chip replaced as the mobo will work with either bios chips as your M3985 came with either legacy or UEFI type BIOSs.

I had the same problems with an old Aspire V3-571G with Win-8 OS that came from Acer with a legacy bios and the later models came with a UEFI bios but luckily there was a bios reprogram UEFI guide (which there is NOT for your M3985 but search the web as there may be?) and that worked for the UEFI bios. So your only option to make your Aspire M3985 into a UEFI bios is to change the BIOS chip to a UEFI BIOS chip that has the last Acer M3985 version which is the BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) Version: P11.B1 Date: 2014/04/03 which you can get on eBay so search there but get an experience tech with the proper micro soldering tools to replace it for you.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,027 Trailblazer
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

If your bios is legacy, then you can't use the UEFI bios updates from Acer, as they won't work, or you can change your bios to a UEFI as the bios needs to be reprogrammed or a new UEFI bios chip replaced as the mobo will work with either bios chips as your M3985 came with either legacy or UEFI type BIOSs.

I had the same problems with an old Aspire V3-571G with Win-8 OS that came from Acer with a legacy bios and the later models came with a UEFI bios but luckily there was a bios reprogram UEFI guide (which there is NOT for your M3985 but search the web as there may be?) and that worked for the UEFI bios. So your only option to make your Aspire M3985 into a UEFI bios is to change the BIOS chip to a UEFI BIOS chip that has the last Acer M3985 version which is the BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) Version: P11.B1 Date: 2014/04/03 which you can get on eBay so search there but get an experience tech with the proper micro soldering tools to replace it for you.

• wrinkly
    wrinkly Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks then do you know any beget gpu that can be used on legacy?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

If your machine shipped with Windows 8 instead of Windows 7, it is already UEFI.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.