I can't installed Kali Linux on my Acer Aspire E15 E5-574G | Black/Blank Screen freeze

farrukhahmed
farrukhahmed Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello All,

I'm trying to install Kali Linux on my machine (Aspire E15 E5-574G). I have tried multiple ways already.

1. First, I tried with UEFI, Secure Boot enabled, also Selected UEFI file as trusted from BIOS setup. Moreover, I have burned iso image using Rufus. Followed this thread ( https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/657139/i-cant-install-kali-linux-acer-aspire-a315-23 ). I see black/black screen freezes on installation.
  2. Then tried with UEFI, Secure Boot disabled, and got this error ( error: secure boot forbids loading module from (hd0)/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/linux.mod )
  3. Then tried with Legacy Mode, iso burned with Balena Etcher. Selected the Bootable USB from F12 Boot Menu and then I got this error ( ZSTD-Compressed data is corrupted --System halted )

PS: I'm familiar with the installation. I'm running Ubuntu on my other machine.

Any contribution could be of help.

Thank you !

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Please post phone photos of the UEFI mode BIOS INFORMATION & MAIN tabs after pressing Ctrl+S if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

>>>Then tried with UEFI, Secure Boot disabled>>>

1. Did you first set and save a supervisor password in the BIOS SECURITY tab, then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable Secure Boot?
    2. With the KALI GPT FAT32 usb inserted, did you tap F12 on startup to reveal the multi-boot selection menu?
    3. Please post photo of F12 multi-boot menu if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• farrukhahmed

Tinkerer

1. Yes, I have set the supervisor password and tried with Disabling Secure Boot as well.
    2. Yes, I have burned the USB GPT Fat32, also checked tapping F12 to reveal multi-boot selection and then I selected the "Bootable USB", it let me proceed to the Kali Installer screen, and then I selected "Graphical Install" and it freezes. I let it run for an hour but I see no progress and it freezes at the kali screen(screenshot attached below).
    3. Sure, I have posted below the photo of F12 multi-boot menu.

• JackE

>>>>First, I tried with UEFI, Secure Boot enabled, also Selected UEFI file as trusted from BIOS setup. Moreover, I have burned iso image using Rufus. Followed this thread. I see black/black screen freezes on installation.>>>

This should've worked. So maybe a hardware or firmware issue?

If you have two 4GB DDR3 sodimms installed, first try removing one of them to see if the boot stick will load with secure boot enabled.

Jack E/NJ

• farrukhahmed

Tinkerer

Unfortunately, I have 1 8GB DDR3 sodimms installed.

I have BIOS version 1.10 running right now, Does it have anything to do with it?

• JackE

>>>BIOS version 1.10 running right now, Does it have anything to do with it?>>>

It might. There are updates that address both Intel and nvidia VBIOS issues that might be adversely affecting the Kali installation. The main drawback is that a firmware update has a very high risk for bricking the machine if not installed inside the Windows environment.

The other issue in your BIOS Information tab is that the product name E5-574G seems to be missing. This would adversely affect installations that rely on a product name database to install appropriate interim drivers needed to complete the installation.

If it was my machine, I'd probably wipe the disk and try to install Win10 off line so I could update to the latest v1.18 BIOS firmware at this link. Then I'd shrink the Windows system partition to about 25% of the Seagate's capacity. Then try to install Kali alongside in the free space.

Jack E/NJ

• farrukhahmed

Tinkerer

@JackE Thanks for your response, notifying me the points and helping me.

The other issue in your BIOS Information tab is that the product name E5-574G seems to be missing. This would adversely affect installations that rely on a product name database to install appropriate interim drivers needed to complete the installation.

Is there anything I can do to correct this?

If it was my machine, I'd probably wipe the disk and try to install Win10 off line so I could update to the latest v1.18 BIOS firmware at this link. Then I'd shrink the Windows system partition to about 25% of the Seagate's capacity. Then try to install Kali alongside in the free space.

What if I install the Windows10 and update the BIOS firmware to v1.18 from Windows environment and then replace Windows10 OS with Kali Linux? Will removing Windows10 also removes/reverted back to the BIOS firmware to v1.10?

Actually, I want to run a Kali Linux on Single disk, no alongside OS with Kali Linux.

Looking forward to hear from you.

• JackE

>>>>What if I install the Windows10 and update the BIOS firmware to v1.18 from Windows environment and then replace Windows10 OS with Kali Linux? Will removing Windows10 also removes/reverted back to the BIOS firmware to v1.10?

It's simply a matter of convenience to leave a small Windows partition for situations like this when a Windows environment can more safely resolve an issue. Microsoft used to support a live Windows USB called Window2Go but it was discontinued. There are 3rd party sources but I haven't had much luck making them work and certainly wouldn't trust them to flash a BIOS. The drive capacities are so huge now that it's just easier to leave a small Windows partition.

There is also one potential issue with the Kali bootloader installed alongside Windows if you later delete the Windows partition. it may protest and require modifying the trusted bootloadeer files in the EFI partition

>>>Is there anything I can do to correct [missing product name]?>>>

Yes but very risky with an eeprom programmer. The safest way is to ask an authorized service center to do it for you. I would only worry about this after first trying to install Windows and update the BIOS from inside the Windows environment. If either of those fail due to a missing product name, then something will have to be done.

Jack E/NJ

• farrukhahmed

Tinkerer

@JackE

It's simply a matter of convenience to leave a small Windows partition for situations like this when a Windows environment can more safely resolve an issue. Microsoft used to support a live Windows USB called Window2Go but it was discontinued. There are 3rd party sources but I haven't had much luck making them work and certainly wouldn't trust them to flash a BIOS. The drive capacities are so huge now that it's just easier to leave a small Windows partition.

I have created a small partition for windows and install windows 10 as well. But it doesn't loaded up drivers installed. I have manually download and installed some drivers from the acer respective model software directory. But there are still some drivers left and I cant find the driver there.

There is also one potential issue with the Kali bootloader installed alongside Windows if you later delete the Windows partition. it may protest and require modifying the trusted bootloadeer files in the EFI partition

Alright, I have decided not to remove the windows partition. So, what do you suggest to make a master boot manager to either GRUB or Windows Boot Manager?

Yes but very risky with an eeprom programmer. The safest way is to ask an authorized service center to do it for you. I would only worry about this after first trying to install Windows and update the BIOS from inside the Windows environment. If either of those fail due to a missing product name, then something will have to be done.

Unfortunately, there is no authorized service center in Pakistan, I guess. Can you suggest something else?

Does remove/attach the CMOS battery resets EEPROM?

• JackE

>>>>I have manually download and installed some drivers from the acer respective model software directory.>>>

First try to install ALL the drivers from the Acer site including any chipset and i/o drivers. For any remaining Device Manager issues, download & install iobit's Driver Booster freeware to see if it can pick up those drivers on line.

The Windows Boot Manager should already be installed in UEFI mode. If the BIOS update to v1.18 was successful, then you don't need to do anything more until you get he Windows Device Manager drivers issues are resolved as described above.

After the Windows driver issues are resolved, then we can try to install Kali alongside Windows. The Kali installer will then automatically generate a primary Linux bootloader that also controls the Windows Boot Manager as a secondary Windows bootloader. When you start up a dual boot primary Kali Linux secondary Windows system, Kali loads by default unless you click a quick temporary screen option to load Windows instead. Otherwise, you won't even know Windows is installed.

Jack E/NJ